Turkeys Against Cancer

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Turkeys Against Cancer

For the past few years friends and members of the BBQ Brethren on Long Island have been preparing
brobdingnagian Thanksgiving meals for families dealing with breast cancer. We work with the Breast Cancer Coalition who chooses the families and delivers them to them. Last year we made over 2 dozen meals.

If you'd be interested in participating in this tradition in your own area, it would be an amazing way to help a family enjoy a holiday during some difficult times. Preparing a holiday meal is often beyond the capabilities of people going through treatment for cancer.

We started with a few friends that like to cook. Each person would cook a lot of one item, we would all gather at a central location and then pack out the food. 'Bob' would make 6 quarts of mashed potatoes, 'Amanda' and 'Tony' would each smoke 3 turkeys, 'Fred' would bake 6 pies, etc. The number of people that pitch in has grown every year, as has the amount that we cook for.

If this is something that you would be interested in doing, I'd be happy to help coordinate with a charity that's local to you and provide a blueprint for what we do (although it's pretty simple).

How amazing would it be if a couple of folks in Iowa could make two meals, some people in Florida made 5, we made 30 here in NY and so on? BBQ people are the most generous that I know and it would totally make my year to see that happen.

Eric

Ya know...you COULD just smoke/bbq the turkey breasts and the use the slogan..."Fighting Cancer - A breast for a breast". Or something like that.

I've done a lot of cycling for the NBCF and ACS. Always a good feeling to help out.

I like this program and would be interested helping in Arizona. I can certainly imagine that the Moms feel they could use some help giving family a Thanksgiving. Anyone with me on this for Arizona?

I'm in for the lower central Michigan area and know my friends would chip in too

That's great, Dave! Thanks.

Do you want to speak with your friends and see how many meals would be feasible?

When we started in NY the families got a turkey, gravy and a couple of side dishes (I think it may have been stuffing and potatoes). One person did all the stuffing, another did all the potatoes, etc.

If you pm me your zip code, I'll look into local chapters of the Breast Cancer Coalition near you.

Eric

I'll be getting with a few Brethren Sunday and we can discuss this.
Pm on it's way

Back