• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken question.

cmcadams said:
When I took the class a year ago, we were told that smoked chicken has rubbery skin, so don't count down for that. I don't, as the skin isn't that big of a deal, though I do taste it.

On appearance only, that chicken could score much higher if it weren't black. It may taste great, but the appearance score would likely suffer.

Curt
I agree that chicken skin can be rubbery but how the cook deals with that is part of what judging. A good cook can smoke chicken, present it crispy or tender (bite through) and should be rewarded for it.

Jim

I think the skin has so much taste,i hate to lose that. I would keep a eye on the chicken a little more and don't blacken it as much.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Not a big thigh fan, bro. Unless they're on Rachael Ray! :wink: :eek:

say that again rachel ray !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have went to judge class

this pice lookes burned to me

it looks like the bbq sauce has an lot of sugar that caramalized
way to fast and then burned because of the time on the grill

try this cook the chicken and then sauce it in an cooler place on your smoker so it caramalized slower

just my thoughts
york

I would judge that down a point or two on appearance for the burnt look. If the dark color was uniform on the skin I would assume it was ment to be darker and probably not mark down. I have however given 9s in taste for peices that I gave 5s in appearance for looking burnt.

Frist let me say I have try to look at the rules and I think this is allowed, if not deleate it.

Actually, a very good question and discussion.
Thanks.
Moderator's note--I did delete some off-topic and off-color posts.

Here is my take on chicken skin.
Judges reward "excellence"--at least I hope we do. :oops:
Chicken or poultry skin at "smoking temps" is a culinary challenge.
It takes a really talented cook to get it done to some sort of "bite through" state.
When they do, I reward them.
If it is "rubbery"--well, anyone can do that. :lol:
If they leave the skin off--well, they don't get any points for excellence in chicken from me--sorry.

The pic does appear "burned"--probably too much sugar in the sauce or rub.
Easy to correct, if she wants to.

Just an opinion.

TIM

Back