1st Timer / Brisket on WSM

buy 'em books send 'em to school and they eat the teacher:crazy:

I AM a chef instructor at a high risk comprehensive high school. You sir are not far off there:shock:

I agree with mixing by weight if at all possible. I'm a huge fan of kosher salt for rubs.

:twitch:TMI

I was bored and had My laptop around. Just opened Excel and took notes of what was happening every half hour. Just hit copy and paste for the most part. I can go back and look at what I can do differently next time.

as I thought. You went almost 2 total hours longer than me at about the same temp and then help in the cooler longer. Mine clearly could have gone longer. next time.

I know time is not how to tell it is done so no need to comment but it is one point to compare as we had the same size brisket and cooked at the same temp. I pulled too soon.

Looks great to me. The only changes I would make as said above would be to up the pepper ratio. I like 4-5 parts coarse black pepper to 1 part kosher salt. It may sound like a lot of pepper but the spiciness of the pepper cooks off and leaves a nice crust. I would also up the temp to 300 but just for time sake. You're off to a great start in your brisket making future. Don't make too many drastic changes in your technique so that you know what works and what does not. $3/lb aint bad at all. Down your way you might be able to find it even cheaper if you keep your eyes open in the sales papers. Not prime but still good practice.

Looks great to me. The only changes I would make as said above would be to up the pepper ratio. I like 4-5 parts coarse black pepper to 1 part kosher salt. It may sound like a lot of pepper but the spiciness of the pepper cooks off and leaves a nice crust. I would also up the temp to 300 but just for time sake. You're off to a great start in your brisket making future. Don't make too many drastic changes in your technique so that you know what works and what does not. $3/lb aint bad at all. Down your way you might be able to find it even cheaper if you keep your eyes open in the sales papers. Not prime but still good practice.

I agree. I really liked the pepper. I wouldn't complain if I had to put more on there. I do think that the higher temperature would have made a positive difference. Thanks for the advice.

as I thought. You went almost 2 total hours longer than me at about the same temp and then help in the cooler longer. Mine clearly could have gone longer. next time.

I know time is not how to tell it is done so no need to comment but it is one point to compare as we had the same size brisket and cooked at the same temp. I pulled too soon.

I just checked out your brisket in your thread. Doesn't look bad at all. Great smoke ring. I'd eat it. My biggest takeaway from my cook is that I am walking away with a better feel of what I need to do next time.

I'll just note, a lot of the pepper/salt ratio variables you read about could come down to how you measure. A 4:1 ratio of kosher salt to medium grind black pepper by volume is the same as a 1:1 ratio of kosher salt to medium grind black pepper by weight.

I'll just note, a lot of the pepper/salt ratio variables you read about could come down to how you measure. A 4:1 ratio of kosher salt to medium grind black pepper by volume is the same as a 1:1 ratio of kosher salt to medium grind black pepper by weight.

That's good to know. Thanks

I mean, rereading that, 4 parts black pepper to 1 part kosher salt by volume. I gotta proofread more

Back