• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Welding newb

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK so my wife totally surprised me and informed me of what she'd like to give me for Christmas... problem is I am not sure of what the answer is. She wants to get me some welding classes and some gear. Here in is the problem. ..

What type of welder would be best suited for 1/4" steel, or for making frames, and for grates?

Not sure how far I'll go in welding but I do love tinkering and building stuff... so I welcome y'all's thoughts.

As always, thanks,
G

If you mean trailer frames, I'd recommend a stick welder. For most everything else a mig works best.

A 220V mig for building 1/4 stuff, grates and 3/36 and under a 110V is good. Tig takes a longer learning curve, but then again you can do more with it.

Defiantly a 220 volt. A 110 volt won't have the heat to give a solid single pass welt for 1/4". Join miller welds forum. They will point you in the right direction.

Mig welder all the way, much easier learning curve. A miller 180 220v is great for most any garage jobs, if you want weld thicker steel in less passes and longer duty cycles miller makes a 212 240v which will handle anything you need, little pricy. I have a miller auto set 140 and can weld anything i need just have to bevel material edges and make more passes, 3/8 and thicker i preheat. fyi if i had to pay for the machine i would have got the 180. Other manufactures make similer machines but stay away from cheapo. Good luck and lots of info online.

Overall a 220 volt mig can do pretty much anything you will probably ever want to do. I get by on a 220 ac/dc stick, but the mig would be faster and easier in most situations. Take the welding class first and play around with different welders to see which one you like. I have seen plenty of cases where people made pretty welds with no real penetration that failed and had to be repaired. If you are doing 1/4 inch stuff you don't want it to fail.

I'm in the 220v mig camp for an overall general use welder. I have probably 8 different types of welder/plasma machines and they all have their place but when I need to buzz something together fast it's the 220v mig with shielding gas.

[ame]http://m.ebay.com/itm/360407582315?nav=SEARCH[/ame]

Check this out. I got to play with 1 and it works great.

Thermal arc make some cool 3 in 1 machines, stick mig tig, my buddy has one and loves it. Then you are covered do anything. They are not high frequency so you can't tig aluminum but you can mig it. I agree with what was said above, take the classes and try out different machines and processes and find out what you like and what is going to fit your needs

http://www.victortechnologies.com/Thermal Arc 3in1/index.php

Thanks everyone... got some starting points and a couple links for more reading. Classes definitely first, then buying. Will keep y'all posted.

Look at the Miller 211. Best of both worlds, 110 or 220. Will handle pretty much anything you would need.

The classes will also be an excellent place to ask this question. Your instructor should be able to point you in the right direction. I use a little 110v for small jobs, but I learned on and arc welder and do a better job with it. I've had more experience with it. I think a mig has a shorter learning curve for a novice though. It's just not what I'm used to. I need to practice with it more. Most of my experience is with a torch and arc welder.

Been welding all my life including about 20 years for paychecks. I have never bought a brand new MIG welder. No reason to - too many guys who think they want to weld, go buy a welder, then give it up and sell the welder cheap.

Sure, shiny Miller 220 volt MIG welders will work great. They will also cost you a grand or more. Where I live you can sometimes find Lincoln 220 volt MIG welders for a whole lot cheaper, like $400-500. Watch CL's tool section.

Stay with Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. Do NOT buy Century, Dan-MIG, Snap-On or Harbor Freight.

Taking classes is a damn good idea. Don't buy a welder before your class, your teacher might know where you can get a good deal on one. Lots of gear changes hands in welding classes, at least the ones I used to help out in.

seattlepitboss

There's one manufactuer that's not being mentioned and it's HTP. Great bullet proof products. In example, I have Miller 140 120volt machines that weigh around 85#each,and are great machines, 140 HTP machines weigh in near 165# each ! All that extra weight is better equipment. Tell them your desires and they'll point you to the best product. Mig would be my direction from what you've said. Good luck . Steve.

I have a Lincoln PowerMig 140. Havent found anything it wont do in everyday parameters. Obviously not welding pipelines or anything, but perfect for home/farm use. It welds good enough for me to have used it on my sprint car frame back when we were running and was never concerned about bad welds or the like. I would lean towards whatever a local supplier carries since if there is any issues with it, they are right there and not 14 phone calls and numerous new and inventive curse words away.

I would suggest making your choice after your classes are well underway and you understand the processes better - Plus you'll have plenty of time to discuss equipment options with your instructors, etc.

Miller 211

check out the 211. You can hobby weld the thin stuff on 110 house plug or go 220 Volts and seal the deal. Trailers and structural stuff is better done (IMHO) with a AC/DC stick welder and an experienced welder.

Take a class and study up on welder forums then shop CL. You can do it and it is fun. Now fab work is a whole new world. I Still can't get stuff square ..llol

I had a Miller 140 that was 110 volt. It was okay... but later I purchased a nice used Lincoln 225 MIG @ 220 volt and it kicks butt! I'm not a great welder but this unit makes me look pretty good. It can really burn in the weld where as the 110 volt just humps up and sits on top of the metal. I really believe you could go with Miller, Hobart (which I've heard is Miller) or Lincoln and you'll have a great machine. I run a 50 ft. - 6/4 cord from my laundry room out into my driveway to power it. If price is an issue look for a used 220 volt in lieu of a new 110 volt... IMHO

Back