Discussion Thread -> "Dog Days of Summer!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."Dog Days Of Summer!"

hotdogs012_zps539c57a8.jpg

This is Boogiesnap's winning entry in the 2013 "Let's do the tubesteak boogie" TD

As chosen by Melissaredhead for winning the "Steak!" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Melissaredhead said:
"Dog Days of Summer" are upon us with your choice of hotdogs/sausages in a bun. Any type of meat can be used and creativity is only limited by imagination!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/7 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 8/17/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 8/17/15

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm guess I gotta Smoke the Dogs before I Deep Fry them.......

Keith, be sure to enter this in the Noobs vs. Vets, Season 4 TD on behalf of the Vets!

Know what? Its been a LONG while since I have participated in any capacity in the forum, I need go get on this one. I have a vision.

Know what? Its been a LONG while since I have participated in any capacity in the forum, I need go get on this one. I have a vision.

Bring it on, bro. Let's see what you got...you could use a distraction about now anyway.

:thumb:

Official Entry: Dog Days of Summer

ok, official entry...

with offspring #2 out of town at summer camp, and the spousal unit volunteering at said camp, it was just me and the oldest for a few days. So, after doing a bit of fishing
01D02370-6BF9-424E-B7CF-4E666E6E94EF_zps5tjnhrud.jpg

and bowling
56704448-77EC-4BC3-BFCC-7D2BC41DD62D_zpsqwvy4ige.jpg

we thought we'd have a fire, and cook some grub
FE70016F-AE43-45DB-A12E-28A068DD9C42_zpsdzh6cxsz.jpg

threw some dogs on, and got the CI skillet going
ED8DB752-ADF0-406B-8DA7-15BD96D55434_zpseqhdmwcb.jpg

put some bacon grease into the CI because...I don't need to explain why, I'm sure
08EF25C7-9D70-447A-80BC-60458A0C28D0_zpspxfb5egr.jpg

some broccoli, and seasoned with some S&P and a bit of crushed red pepper
5551ED30-03BE-41B8-BFA9-6CC1F253BA4A_zpswnb96wda.jpg

assembled with some mustard, celery salt, homemade hot pickles/peppers, onions and tomatoes, and paired it with a nice dark mild brewed by yours truly

plated shot, and entry pic below, please:
D11F88F0-2BF8-4A93-99AF-8727A2C2CF06_zpsbps3enz4.jpg

we finished out our evening by tossing the frisbee and watching the bats fly around the yard. it was a nice meal to cap off a few fun days of one on one time with the kiddo :thumb:

Looks great, and sounds like a great time with the boy, that's what it's all about right?

I sure hope the boy enjoyed the home brew :shock::mrgreen:, looks good too!

KC

ok, official entry...

with offspring #2 out of town at summer camp, and the spousal unit volunteering at said camp, it was just me and the oldest for a few days. So, after doing a bit of fishing
01D02370-6BF9-424E-B7CF-4E666E6E94EF_zps5tjnhrud.jpg

and bowling
56704448-77EC-4BC3-BFCC-7D2BC41DD62D_zpsqwvy4ige.jpg

we thought we'd have a fire, and cook some grub
FE70016F-AE43-45DB-A12E-28A068DD9C42_zpsdzh6cxsz.jpg

threw some dogs on, and got the CI skillet going
ED8DB752-ADF0-406B-8DA7-15BD96D55434_zpseqhdmwcb.jpg

put some bacon grease into the CI because...I don't need to explain why, I'm sure
08EF25C7-9D70-447A-80BC-60458A0C28D0_zpspxfb5egr.jpg

some broccoli, and seasoned with some S&P and a bit of crushed red pepper
5551ED30-03BE-41B8-BFA9-6CC1F253BA4A_zpswnb96wda.jpg

assembled with some mustard, celery salt, homemade hot pickles/peppers, onions and tomatoes, and paired it with a nice dark mild brewed by yours truly

plated shot, and entry pic below, please:
D11F88F0-2BF8-4A93-99AF-8727A2C2CF06_zpsbps3enz4.jpg

we finished out our evening by tossing the frisbee and watching the bats fly around the yard. it was a nice meal to cap off a few fun days of one on one time with the kiddo :thumb:
I think I've found my winner. It will be hard for anyone to beat this one.

Fantomlord, that all looked great!

But why did you have to ruin it with Broccoli?

:-D Just kidding it looks great..Nice job on the pit fire.

if you haven't tried broccoli like that, give it a whirl--it gets some really great flavor where it caramelizes. plus, I use bacon grease :becky:

It's like a Stromboli dog!!!:thumb: nice job!
Thanks Melissa! LOL, it does kinda look like that. Just trying to think outside the box a little on this and get creative. I'm glad you picked this TD because i wouldn't have tried it otherwise and it was pretty darn tasty. I have the ingredients to make another this week or next. I might change it up just to try some different ingredients like chunks of velveta in it or something.

Oh now i'm thinking of peperoni in with the sausage. hmmmm

Back