WSM Clone at Academy

mattdean1003

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was buying a bag of hickory splits the night before last and had to go see if there were any busted bags of charcoal...something feels good about that 10 percent off...when I stumbled across this:

2 racks for smoking and they are massive. Large water pan, and even has the WSM style charcoal ring in the bottom.

For a whopping 149.99, this could be a GREAT entry level smoker. The door on the side for adding fuel does need to be sealed, but other than that, I was pretty floored. Absolutely nothing on their website about it, but as I said, this looks like a really nice entry level smoker. WAY better than the ECB.

Oh and here is some pron from a shredded chuckie I did:

Must be something new as I don't see that on their website. I only see the old ECB type from OG & Weber WSM

There is a canadian knock off of thw wsm now too, apollo but its just as much as a wsm

I saw,that the other day, too. I was intrigued, but didn't have the chance to look at it closely. I'm sure the quality is t as good as the WSM, but it may be a good substitute for someone with less cash. Of course, occasionally one can buy a WSM used for less.

I'd love to hear from someone who has one.

How to assign a number to QUALITY?
What does it weigh compared to the same size WSM? Would that tell us about how long it will last?

Yes, I tend to overthink things :roll:

sounds like a great deal as long as the quality is OK. about half the price of an 18" wsm! i love my 18" wsm though.....

it would have to be comparable to a UDS and about the same cost, so for someone that can't build a UDS this would probably be a good substitute.

When I saw the unit it was up on a high self so couldn't get my grubby mitts on it to feel the quality of it. Also the ol lady was restless so I didn't have time to ask a sales associate to bring her down for me. Looks pretty beastie though. I do know the dampers on the bottom didn't feel too sturdy. maybe even a little flimsy. I would love to see a review on it.

I picked one up last week. They were on clearance for $111. I just finished my first cook on it. I made 2 dozen armadillo eggs. It ran good. I need to seal the door and add some wheels to the legs next. I already made an attachment for my iq110.
image_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ah heck make a jimmy!! LOL

Build in the sig...doesn't take much and it'll last a long long long time, plus grill, sear etc.. Solid SS, retains steady temp and if you ever need to add fuel for whatever reason just lift the pot off.

Back