• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Prime Time

MikeWin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First prime rib on the REC TEC. 12 lb. roast. Dry brined, cooked at 240 for 5 hours, reverse seared for about 15 minutes on gas grill, temp was at 134. Sliced and ate like a king. Turned out perfect... :razz:

I love slow cooking rib-eye roasts/prime rib. It is so darned easy and they come out great! Yours looks awesome.

Nice job on the Prime Rib, but something seems a bit off here as 134 would be rare .

134 then the rest could be almost 140. I consider rare more like 125.

Roast looks great btw

That looks awesome. I would eat that till I passed out!

In regards to the comment on 134 being rare. Any time a large piece of meat like this is cooked, the internal temp will continue to rise during the rest period. Sometimes as much as 10 degrees. It is important to understand this to avoid continually overcooking your meat.

This is why I always tell people to cook their lean pork roasts to 135-140, not 145! 145 may get you a final temp of 155 which is far past the ideal mark.

That and some homemade horse radish, don't know how it could get any better.:clap2::clap2:

134 then the rest could be almost 140. I consider rare more like 125.

Roast looks great btw

You're right, I should have said "rarer" or "more rare".

That looks awesome. I would eat that till I passed out!

In regards to the comment on 134 being rare. Any time a large piece of meat like this is cooked, the internal temp will continue to rise during the rest period. Sometimes as much as 10 degrees. It is important to understand this to avoid continually overcooking your meat.

This is why I always tell people to cook their lean pork roasts to 135-140, not 145! 145 may get you a final temp of 155 which is far past the ideal mark.

Yep yep, happens with any sized cut of meat to some degree or another. Generally, I've found that larger roasts such as this tend to carry over about a half step in terms of doneness, especially when it's spent most of it's cooking time going low and slow.

WRT this cook, it might be the lighting or the camera, but 3 or 4 of the pieces appear to be close to well done and the one you see the full face of looks mid well to me. If pulled at 134 and it carry over cooked to 140ish, I'd still think that it would have more color. Thus, my belief that the temp measurement was off a bit for whatever reason.

If my probes/therms had registered 134 and my roast came out like this, I'd be checking the calibration on all of them.

BTW, let me add that I'm not criticizing the cook or Mike's taste/preference. I just don't think that the temp matches the results.

You're right, I should have said "rarer" or "more rare".

Yep yep, happens with any sized cut of meat to some degree or another. Generally, I've found that larger roasts such as this tend to carry over about a half step in terms of doneness, especially when it's spent most of it's cooking time going low and slow.

WRT this cook, it might be the lighting or the camera, but 3 or 4 of the pieces appear to be close to well done and the one you see the full face of looks mid well to me. If pulled at 134 and it carry over cooked to 140ish, I'd still think that it would have more color. Thus, my belief that the temp measurement was off a bit for whatever reason.

If my probes/therms had registered 134 and my roast came out like this, I'd be checking the calibration on all of them.

BTW, let me add that I'm not criticizing the cook or Mike's taste/preference. I just don't think that the temp matches the results.

I pulled the roast at 125 and let it rest for about 25 minutes. I checked the temp with 2 different thermometers in the center of the roast. The outside pieces were more done which I figured was because of it being such a large roast. The center portion did have a lot more pink to it. The light was affecting the picture some also.

By the way, thanks for all of the comments.

I have yet to do a prime rib, the cost is prohibitive for me to experiment with honestly. Looks like you nailed it!

I pulled the roast at 125 and let it rest for about 25 minutes. I checked the temp with 2 different thermometers in the center of the roast. The outside pieces were more done which I figured was because of it being such a large roast. The center portion did have a lot more pink to it. The light was affecting the picture some also.

By the way, thanks for all of the comments.

Hmmm, must definitely be the lighting, because that's just about how I do mine. I pull around 127 normally, and around 120ish if doing a reverse sear.

The outside pieces being much more done is purely a function of the high heat sear. When cooking PR low and slow (under 260) without searing, you'll end up with a pretty consistent color from edge to edge, something like this:

2013-04-19 19.21.57.jpg

It's kind of like that old adage about boiling a frog in warm water. The meat on the inside/center comes to temp before the outside edges have a chance to overcook.

When searing, it's a delicate balance to try and get a nice crust on the outside as fast as you can, so the inner parts don't cook up too much.

All that said, your PR still made my mouth water :razz:

I have yet to do a prime rib, the cost is prohibitive for me to experiment with honestly. Looks like you nailed it!

Aaron, if you have the freezer space, just watch for sales. Last couple of times I bought whole ribeyes in quantity, they were $5.50 per pound. Also, you don't have to do a whole ribeye. Next time there's a sale on ribeye, talk to your butcher and have him cut you a 2 or 3 bone roast (perhaps 4 or 5 pounds.) Would cost less than a decent sized brisket.

Back