Discussion Thread -> "Recycled Pork!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Recycled Pork!"

pulled_pork.jpg

As chosen by Shagdog for winning the "Asian Appetizer" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Shagdog said:
Hey there Moose

Recycled Pork!

What can you do with your pulled pork leftovers? Entries must incorporate pulled pork used in a non traditional way (no pulled pork sandwiches). Your entry does not have to be grilled or smoked (but extra points if it is!) as long as it contains smoked pork shoulder, Butt, or picnic roast.

Thanks!

Matt

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/29 through Sunday 9/7.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 9/8.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
It's a good topic. I keep seeing threads from folks asking about what to do with PP leftovers. I'm hoping for some really creative ideas in this one. THEN, next time someone asks in Q-Talk, we can point to this thread.

:thumb:

Official TD Entry: Hangover Lunch

This may earn me a dilly, but I'm putting it out their anyways and letting the voters and mods decide.

Last night I kicked off the beginning of 9-days of vacation by marinating a couple of pork tenderloins in an al pastor style using pineapple juice, chipotles in adobo, garlic, green onion, cumin and coriander. I grilled them and then chopped for tacos. I watched my beloved Cougs blow their season opener against Rutgers and enjoyed 3 or 4 too many margaritas, leading to me being a little slothy this morning. When I finally got my butt moving I threw together a quick lunch using leftovers from last night and earlier in the week.

I started by frying up some corn tortillas

Then slathered on some leftover black beans from last night that had been cooked with a little onion, carrot and pablano pepper from my garden.

I reheated the leftover pork along with some leftover chicken, that I had slathered in adobo sauce and grilled earlier in the week for chili rellenos, in some red sauce consisting of roasted tomatoes, roasted hatch chilies, garlic, onion and a little chicken stock. I then put a layer of that mixture on top of the beans.

and then added some queso fresco

topped with another tortilla

then more beans and meat

more cheese

another tortilla

and then the coup de grace, a fried egg, black bean & corn salsa and a little more cheese.

Entry Pic

Now I need a nap.

Last edited:
Oh Yum! :hungry: :clap: :hungry:

I've made something very similar to this and it's delicious.

MS2SB, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you saw it coming based on your intro to your post.

What can you do with your pulled pork leftovers? Entries must incorporate pulled pork used in a non traditional way (no pulled pork sandwiches). Your entry does not have to be grilled or smoked (but extra points if it is!) as long as it contains smoked pork shoulder, Butt, or picnic roast.

The TD category specifically calls for pulled pork from either the butt, shoulder, or picnic. Since your entry is not pulled and from the tenderloin, I must present this entry with a Dilly Bar.

08-12+Dilly+Bar.jpg

Feel free to submit another entry prior to the closing date that adheres to Shagdog's entry requirements.

FWIW, I'd frickin' KILL that!!!

MS2SB, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you saw it coming based on your intro to your post.

The TD category specifically calls for pulled pork from either the butt, shoulder, or picnic. Since your entry is not pulled and from the tenderloin, I must present this entry with a Dilly Bar.

08-12+Dilly+Bar.jpg

Feel free to submit another entry prior to the closing date that adheres to Shagdog's entry requirements.

FWIW, I'd frickin' KILL that!!!

No hard feelings on this one. I figured I'd put your new moderating skills to the test early. :biggrin1:

I've made pulled pork from a fresh ham and I've heard of it being done somewhere in the Carolinas I think. Just sayin.

If anyone is looking for me I'll be in the Penalty box

Back