Trout recipes??

EricD

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, a buddy of mine went fishing and gave me 3 good size fish. 2 rainbow trout and 1 brook.
I've never cooked a fish. Never. I haven't been a fan of fish until recently. I like shellfish though.
I'm going to cook them over charcoal on the Weber Kettle. Am going to use a cedar plank. other than that, I'm totally winging it!!
Any suggestions, tips, insight, skin on/ off?, etc.
Thanks in advance for your input!!
Have a great 4th!!!

Leave the skin on, put a pat of butter some dill, and some lemon slices in the body cavity. EVOO the outside with a little salt and pepper. Grill them til done. They will be just fine.

lemon & butter in the body cavity is spot on. I also like to add thin sliced onion and slivered almonds to the mix. Its imperative that you leave the skin on when cooking. Its also really easy to overcook. When you direct grill, its done in just minutes on each side.

I like to butterfly trout (skin on) and cook hot and fast on a kettle, although you kind of need a fish basket to do this.

Season, grill flesh side down, flip, baste with butter or olive oil and lemon. Serve with tartar sauce.

I like to put them in foil with some butter and Italian dressing. I am sure squeezing some lemon on would be great too, but I usually don't have lemon in the mountains! I will have to remember that next time. I usually cook on an open fire near the edge with the foil all wrapped up so they steam nice. My mouth is watering writing this...time to go fishing!

Man.... my mouth is watering thinking of fresh trout. Hope you take pics of the finished product! :grin:

Back