Looking for best ambient/meat thermometer that links to Android

Schmendrick

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So far, I've seen iGrill2, wGrill, BlueTherm . . . I've read pros and cons (WiFi vs. BlueTooth, AC vs. Battery, range capabilities, etc.), but I really would like to hear straight from the Brethren: Which is your favorite wireless thermometer?

Obviously, it's important to me to have both the ambient temperature of the smoker, along with the temp of the meat I'm cooking. What do you recommend?

It's a DIY kit that you put together yourself. That's where the cost savings comes in

I just looked it up, and it looks like it probably is the best thing out there, but is there assembly required? I could not find where you could buy a complete unit.

Auber Instruments now sells the pre-assembled HM here and you can add components to it a la carte style, but the sticking point, at least for me is the warranty, if you scroll down that page. Only 90 days for the HM and the blower. 40 days for the Raspberry Pi and SD card. Plus, by the time you add in the blower, adapter, probes, etc the price approaches the CyberQ or the BT Duo, both of which have 2 year warranties. I wish ThermoWorks would ditch the BT Duo and replace it with their own version of the CyberQ. One can hope...

Another vote for HeaterMeter here. Love it.

Anyone looking at a new one might as well get the 4.2 version if possible and with a thermocouple.

Yeah, I do build them for Brethren, although, I will be out of the country July 14th-Aug 4th, after I will be back to making them.

What do you charge?

It varies, depending on the completness of the build. A soldered board with a 6.5cfm blower and a thermocouple jack starts at $135, $125 if you prefer thermistor for the pit probe. Cases are $30 (made buy the designer of the official case). Price goes up from there if including Rpi with wifi and other components. Also, there are optional servo controlled air valve(rotodamper) and the adapter board that I designed, that has multiple options, and lets the thermocouple read temps below 0 and to a maximum of -67f.

Currently I'm at work, if you like I could give more precise answer when I at home via PMs.

I've been reading up on these and definitely want one. Will the heatermeter function properly with a BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan?

Last edited:
How about adding a robot that can add sticks as required-- and a remote sensor you can place on your tongue for the robot to hand you a beer as needed.

Maybe a remote baster sensor and applicator.

Or the ultimate: an automatic dialer that calls Famous Dave's for delivery.

I've been reading up on these and definitely want one. Will the heatermeter function properly with a BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan?

The heatermeters blower is attached to a cat5 cable. It would work, if you are willing to cut off the end of the viper cable and attach a cat5 cable end, but probably not advised if you still would want to use your BBQ Guru.

I also do custom heatermeters for people with custom needs, im sure there is a standard connector that the Guru uses, I could do a heatermeter with the same connector, but that would cost a tad more. Atm, I'm making about 5 heatermeters for customer for the 5 smokers he is building, and it will have an USB cable attached to the heatermeter and the thermocouple and meat probes will have an adapter board inside a juction box of the smokers. So, when its all done, all he will need to do is plug in the usb cable to his smoker and the heatermeter, and it will be ready to go.

Porcine Aviator: you can also listen to the World Series on the radio...but with all this new dandy technology I'll choose to watch on the picture tube in High definition...

Back