Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Just got the call that mine is done and ready for me to get on Friday. Reserved a U-Haul trailer. Ready to go now...:wacko:

Just got the call that mine is done and ready for me to get on Friday. Reserved a U-Haul trailer. Ready to go now...:wacko:

:clap2: I knew it!! I knew you would get it in time for the 4th. Yes sir!!

Congrats! I got the email on Monday that they started fabrication on mine. I guess they finished yours and started mine. :-D

Jesse

Won't be long Sparc! They are on vacation next Wednesday - Saturday, so I would guess yours will be ready sometime the week of the 13th.

You were right Sako. I think I was trying to "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst" so I didn't get disappointed if it wasn't ready.

Congrats! Makes for a great 4th weekend!

I got so caught up in work yesterday I failed to get on and say my news!
Placed my order for my insulated yesterday! Went with the full size and I don't expect to look back. 10 weeks to go!

Many thanks to all the brethren who contributed to all the info in this thread, and HUGE thanks to Chris and Amber for all the help answering all my questions when I ordered.

10 weeks!:grin:

Congrats Terry! You are going to love that smoker!

Txags,

I think when it's all said and done you are going to be very happy that you went with the bigger smoker. No need to upgrade in the future now! You will have one of the best insulated cabinets out there, made by folks who take quality seriously.

Congrats Andrew! Those first 9 weeks will be hard, but nothing like the final week! :mrgreen:

Well I just pulled the trigger on a BBQ Guru CyberQ. I have no problem just using ball valves and kinda got use to it. But I know this will be even better. Can't Wait!!! should be here by Friday

What did you guys do for a cover for this monster? I know a couple of places are listed on the thread, but wanted to get a consensus of what people are doing for covers.

I don't use a cover. I roll mine out of the garage when I use it, and back into the garage when done. Stays clean, no need for a cover!

Mine is outdoors, so I bought one of the covers from the link on the LSG page. Suncoast or something like that. Pricy for the vertical offset ($600), but guaranteed for 10 years, so I think it'll be worth it...

www.coverus.com

I have 2 covers from these guys. Thick material but probably not the quality of the ones listed above but for around $75 its hard to complain. They also can get your cover to you in a week or 2 not several months.

There is also a brethren that has a family member that makes custom covers. Hopefully he will respond.

Read every page and very tempted to order one when funds are available. Anybody have a picture of the water pan/smoke inlet area without the bottom shelf in? Curious of its design for water use.

Thanks, Matt

Read every page and very tempted to order one when funds are available. Anybody have a picture of the water pan/smoke inlet area without the bottom shelf in? Curious of its design for water use.

Thanks, Matt

Videos on the lsg site show that area pretty good as well.

Matt,

It's basically a 3-4" deep, 1/4" plate steel pan (bottom and all four sides) that is welded in between the firebox and the cooking chamber. And the water fill is a hole that is on the left side of the pan, at the bottom edge, so when the water drops below 1\2 full in the pan, then a bit of smoke exits at the top of the water fill to let you know it's empty.

There is about a 1/4" gap between this welded in water pan, and the sides of the actual cooker, which is where the smoke comes up into the cooking chamber. Very simple design, works great, with or without water in it.

The deflector plate sits directly below the water pan, with an air gap between the water pan and the deflector. This is so the water pan is heated indirectly and the deflector plate takes any heat abuse. Deflector plate is just a rectangular piece of 1/8" plate that can be replaced if needed (it never will...the fire is so controlled in the LSG that there are never any flames, etc)

I can take a pic for you later today, but it is deceptively simple and pretty uneventful!
That's the best part of the LSG IMHO, simple and overbuilt.

Not a fancy/showy pit, no special tricks, etc, just a beast of a smoker built to last a lifetime, in flat black nondescript paint! And I say this with the highest praise! I absolutely love mine!
And when paired with a HeaterMeter DIY setup, it is perfect for me!

And when paired with a HeaterMeter DIY setup, it is perfect for me!

Speaking of... what fan do you use with the HeaterMeter? Seems to me that the 7cfm fan I saw on their site is rather under powered compared to the Chris' suggestion of the Pit Bull fan (25cfm) from Guru. I like the idea of making a controller into a project instead of just buying a guru, just want to understand the needs.

I have a 35 CFM fan from Delta. Cost on it is about $8.

Any of the bbq guru fans are just low performance Delta DC fans, they cost about $8. Then they bend a piece of sheet metal around them and charge $100+

Never understood why someone would fall for that trick.

I am setting up my RD25 now, but haven't done a cook with it yet.

I do use my heatermeter unit all the time however, and it's the best thing since sliced bread! I can monitor the pit temp plus three other meat temps, set all my alarms, etc right from my phone using the free Pitdroid app.

The unit sends me text messages, or emails, or both if u want, etc as temp alarms come in, etc.
Then you can change the temps and alarms right from your phone.

Once I get the RD25 hooked up I will post some pics.

My Maverick just sits lonely in the drawer now.

The heatermeter is just so much nicer and feature rich than anything out there today. All for about $100-150, depending on feature set.

Matt, here are some pics of the water pan, as requested.

Hope they help.

Thx
Jason

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 427
Back