Brisket Insight....

beefnbunbbq

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Any of you have any insight as to what kind of pricing Brisket will have going forward...these prices are killing us and being in the South and having "beef" in our restaurant name, we sure can't take it off the menu. We've stemmed a lot of the bleeding from the 50+% raise in price from March, but this has to end...doesn't it??? Please....???????

According to beef magazine.com record high prices thru 2015

I don't look for it to change much until this drought Breaks. The ranchers have sold off most of their herds. As long as the supply is limited the price will be high. I've been able to get it for right at $2/lb at RD with the bulk discount thrown in. That's for choice.

Really......maybe I need to make friends with my local RD...I buy about 2000#/week and I CRUSH my vendors, and $3.17/lb is the best I can get. I'd retire if I could get closer to $2......

I don't look for it to change much until this drought Breaks. The ranchers have sold off most of their herds. As long as the supply is limited the price will be high. I've been able to get it for right at $2/lb at RD with the bulk discount thrown in. That's for choice.
Exactly, when there's severe drought there are dry water tanks, feed is more scarce and even hay for winter (when you can find it) is much more expensive. I have a lot of friends in the ranching industry and the weather patterns of the last 5 years or so have been extremely hard on them, forcing them to reduce their herds to all time low numbers.:sad:

Corn prices have dropped a lot in the last year, which should help some. Now if people could get some more rain, I'd imagine herd numbers would be on the upswing, and things would get better.

It takes awhile to grow a cow. As stated above the cost to get it to market is high so profit is low. Farmers use less land for cattle and more for profitable commodities.

Really......maybe I need to make friends with my local RD...I buy about 2000#/week and I CRUSH my vendors, and $3.17/lb is the best I can get. I'd retire if I could get closer to $2......

Do it. If you have a business you have a tax ID, so iys easy. Join online then go check them out. You still have to be careful as with any discount store as not all thing are discount. Spices for example. If you buy as much as you say you ought to get a pretty good discount. What I found was the meat prics are good and you getmambulk discount on top of that.

Exactly, when there's severe drought there are dry water tanks, feed is more scarce and even hay for winter (when you can find it) is much more expensive. I have a lot of friends in the ranching industry and the weather patterns of the last 5 years or so have been extremely hard on them, forcing them to reduce their herds to all time low numbers.:sad:

What I'm worried about is that this drought is going to be a 10 year one. This weather has killed my yard and my house foundation..:mmph:

Excellent thread.

What I think we got here is a whole crappola-load of people who cannot cook or won't and most of 'em go to classless fast food joints; some even think that trip is "going out!" (No offense, you own a dinner or "real" restaurant)

We used to have a store in our town carried huge briskets, 6-14 pounds but no more. Lucky to find 4-pounders now cause no one can afford to buy it...you would think low demand would drop price...not!

Beef demand ( we still export the stuff) and price of corn are still killers due to ethanol BS and more, among a few other things that are killing us in lots a ways. Just MHO...not intending to hijack, but horse meat iiss tasty, you can get it and can deal with eating it.

Start complaing too.

What I'm worried about is that this drought is going to be a 10 year one. This weather has killed my yard and my house foundation..:mmph:
Yes sir, I'm about to have a local foundation repair company come by and assess my situation. I don't even want to know what it's going to cost me to get it fixed, it's pretty bad!!!:tsk:

BobBill, you are right that beef demand is down some due to price, but places like Arby's are picking up the slack. They are why brisket prices have remained high. Usually when price rise like they did, packer's coolers start to fill up and they need to move product. That is when you would see it on sale. With l the fast food places put some type of brisket on their menu, we aren't seeing the sale prices to move product.

Also, blaming ethanol is a red herring. The price of corn is below the price of production and there is a bumper crop this year. There is enough corn to feed livestock and produce ethanol. If you want I can send you pictures of piles of corn with nearly a million bushel in them because there is nowhere to put it.

IIRC it takes 15 months to get a head of beef to market weight. The problem is growing the herd. When you take a cow out for breeding that is one less that wlll be put on the market.

Yes sir, I'm about to have a local foundation repair company come by and assess my situation. I don't even want to know what it's going to cost me to get it fixed, it's pretty bad!!!:tsk:

Hold on to your arse and wallet. Had mine fixed for $22K and it's still not right.:mmph:

Excellent thread.

What I think we got here is a whole crappola-load of people who cannot cook or won't and most of 'em go to classless fast food joints; some even think that trip is "going out!" (No offense, you own a dinner or "real" restaurant)

We used to have a store in our town carried huge briskets, 6-14 pounds but no more. Lucky to find 4-pounders now cause no one can afford to buy it...you would think low demand would drop price...not!

Beef demand ( we still export the stuff) and price of corn are still killers due to ethanol BS and more, among a few other things that are killing us in lots a ways. Just MHO...not intending to hijack, but horse meat iiss tasty, you can get it and can deal with eating it.

Start complaing too.

If you have a SAMs in your area, you can try going to their meat department and see how much they would charge to order you a case or two. They have to buy meat and where they get it from has briskets too, theyre just not buying them. Just try not to let them charge you a premium. You could also talk to the store manager about it.

Back