Semi-make-ahead PSB?

fiveskin

Reaction score
I wanted to have PSB for Friday but won't have access to my WSM. Are there any issues with smoking the chuck to 165F on Thursday and then wrapping/refrigerating until Friday where I can toss it all in the oven?

Yep, it should be fine. It'll take some extra time in the oven because you have to get it back hot before it finishes breaking down all that fat and connective tissue.

Just don't toss that big hunk of hot meat straight in your fridge. Either use an ice bath, or let it sit out until it cools some. Too much heat dumped into your fridge can spoil the rest of your food.

Why not just cook it all the way through, cool it, and vacuum bag it? Then all you have to do Friday is boil a pot of water and drop a bag in or throw it in a crockpot to reheat.

I found it to be even better the next day. Don't sweat it...it'll be great.

Why not just cook it all the way through, cool it, and vacuum bag it? Then all you have to do Friday is boil a pot of water and drop a bag in or throw it in a crockpot to reheat.

Thats my thought.

As far as smoking to 165, then cooling, I'd call you crazy until I had a neighbor at a contest do the same thing with a brisket. I would have really questioned life if I hadnt squeaked by them with a killer brisket of my own

Agree with the others who say to cook it fully ahead of time... for two reasons. A) It always tastes better the next day. B) You will be adding about 50-75% more time to the equation to cook it all the way through. For whatever reason it takes higher sustained heat (IT) to remelt the delicious fat and make it pull worthy.

Back