Restoring balance to my life

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I spent all last week staying in a hotel while working out of town. What i find hardest pm these trips is the lack of home cooking. Luckily Saugatuck brewing company was a 4 minute walk from my room with a decent menu of pub food. Still a whole week with no Q.

I know of only one thing that make up for that in an instant.

A big ole prime brisket from Costco

Started out with 16 lbs. I like to take out both pockets of fat and trim the cap to less than a 1/4 inch. I removed over 4 lbs of fat but i feel it makes the end product better.

For seasoning ive been going with a base coat of black ops and a top coat of coarse pepper and salt.

I cooked on the stick burner for 6 hrs before wrapping in butcher paper. After that it goes to bed on the oven @225 intil morning when i drop it to the lowest temp until service.

Ran hot during the first part of cook and resulted in a slightly overcooked brisket. It was still moist but slices wouldn't really hold together.

We also had homemade slaw and pasta salad

And now all is right in the world

Looks good. I always feel the same way when travelling. Usually find "locals" and ask for good grub locations. Have found a few BBQ joints that way

The slices won't hold together?!?

DISGUSTING!!!

Send it here and I will properly dispose of it for you :biggrin1:

It looks FANTASTIC!!!

Looks awesome! I have one of those in the fridge, I think I'll try to copy your method exactly :thumb:

Looks awesome! I have one of those in the fridge, I think I'll try to copy your method exactly :thumb:

Thanks.

I tailored this method to my lifestyle. I get to hangout by smoker at night, sleep, and have delicious brisket for lunch the next day. I just cant get the same results with a six hour cook.

Great looking brisket Steve!

Certainly well deserved after a tough week away from home.

I like your method...just need some time/temp details.

How hot are you running the smoker?
What's the IT when you pull and wrap it?
How many hours in the oven? Thanks.

I've thought of something similar, but pulling the brisket from the fire, and into a low temp Traeger until morning...maybe 180F.

You have done well. I always thought roofers had perfect balance until the guy roofing my house and his helper fell off the roof of my 1 1/2 story into the excavation around the foundation. He wasn't going to go to the hospital until I pointed out that both of them were bleeding from head wounds and weren't getting past me back on the roof until they did.

Great looking brisket. Your equilibrium is now restored? Or will you have to cook something else to tip the scale?

Smoke ninjas hot and slow brisket method

I like your method...just need some time/temp details.

How hot are you running the smoker?
What's the IT when you pull and wrap it?
How many hours in the oven? Thanks.

I've thought of something similar, but pulling the brisket from the fire, and into a low temp Traeger until morning...maybe 180F.

Ive been trying to pin down a way to get it in a concise post but the method isnt static so reigning it in has not been easy. Its further complicated by my laze fair attitude. How how hot? The dial points up. How long before wrap? When it looks right (its actually when i get tired). Im typically wingin it on half finshed gear.

What ill do here is give you the rundown of a typical cook.

I trim heavy and season stated in the op.

meat goes on around 8. The pit temp is around 275. I run this for up to 6 hrs. Temps are just in the stall if not just past it.160s to 170.

I wrap in paper, I've tried panning and it worked but sped things up. Its about 2 am now and i set the oven for 225. The paper wrapped brisket rides at 225 until morning. First check between 6-8 am. Once its close, some parts will be tender, i drop down to 200 (remember ovens cycle so at times its higher) until all is good.

So its around 8-9 and the brisket has been cooking for about 12 hrs. I drop things down to 170 (lowest setting) and hold until lunch. You can cooler in foil and towels for hours for transport. Finish temps are around the low 200s

timeline can be stretched or compressed but thats the basics. the long hold and slow finish is the key.

Back