First UDS build...advice needed

rovertech001

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm building my first UDS and need a little help. I drilled three 1" holes in the base, equally spaced ,as air vents. I have used 3/4" X close pipe nipples with electrical conduit nuts to snug everything up. I will be using a 90 degree elbow and 10 inch extension to get the ball valve a little higher and make it easier to operate. I can't seem to tighten the conduit nuts enough to keep the vertical pipe tight. I see plenty of people using this same setup but don't see anyone complaining of this issue. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• uds2.jpg
    uds2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 168
ditch the elbow and riser.........put a handle extension. most people drill hole a little smaller where the nipple actually threads in itself.........get it tac welded or put some stove gasket stuff 2000* on it- it dries Hard.

I had to add washers big enough to go over the nipple,inside of the drum. adjusted a pair of Vice Grips clamped on the conduit nut (inside of drum) Only then was i able to tighten everything op from the outside.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Stove-Gasket-Cement-2-3-Ounce/dp/B000FKF80M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1461899310&sr=8-7&keywords=stove+gasket"]Amazon.com: Rutland Stove Gasket Cement, 2.3-Ounce Tube, Black: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MjBJyMtcL.@@AMEPARAM@@41MjBJyMtcL[/ame]

I used washers too. The non-threaded portion of the nipple is wider than the drum is in thickness. You need to accomodate that with washers, if your hole is too big for a tight fit.

I used the same set up as you have with out risers. On mine I added 2 washers on each side then added the sane electric nut you did and on both sides. Tight as can be now. May change to the one shown with the handle very nice.

I always use Minerallac straps to secure the riser to the side of the barrel.

0B-orig.jpg

Sorry to chime in on this so late. I had the same issue and the answer I found was at my local farm and tractor supply store. I bought Ubolts as seen in the picture with little flat stock that came with them. I drilled 2 holes for each ubolt and put nuts on inside of drum and outside to tighten and the rest is saw in the picture.

Please ignore the bungee cord. That has nothing to do with it. That is a different project I am working on.

My first UDS is complete! Ended up using a 3/4" u-bolt to secure the pipe extension and just running caps on the other intake ports. I wanted to make it flexible for future needs so I ran with 2 levels of cooking grates and a grate for a water pan/heat deflector. I can't resist the urge to overkill something so the hardware is 1/4" stainless button head allens. I am waiting for the large gate handles I ordered to arrive and will install them this week. Couldn't let gate handles hold me back so I picked up a bag of Royal Oak lump and got the seasoning run underway! Hope to run a brisket next week.

Attachments

• smoker1.jpg
    smoker1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 75
  • smoker2.jpg
    smoker2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 75
  • smoker3.jpg
    smoker3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 75
  • smoker4.jpg
    smoker4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 75
First UDS Build...up and running!

after a couple of hours, with exhaust fully open, and 1 intake fully open, it settled in at 245F. Now playing with it to find the sweet spot.

Back