Breakin' in the Carson Rodizio

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A bunch of us got in on the Rodizio kickstarter last fall, and as you have probably noticed, our rotisseries have finally shipped. Got mine last week, but didn't have a chance to use it until Saturday.

All put together. It is super easy, just a little set screw at 4 points. 10 minutes to assemble, tops.

The speed control is there on the lower right. Variable speed is a nice feature.

So starting Thursday, I started searching for some top sirloin cap to make picanha with. Not easy to find, but according to the carson crew, it is the honorary Fatty of rodizio maiden voyages, so I had to find some. Finally, talked to someone at Mariano's who said he could do it, but I needed to catch them on a delivery day, early enough that they hadn't already carved the Top Sirloin primal. So... Saturday morning I lucked out and caught them at the right time. Since it was such a pain I had 2 cut. Each was about 3 1/3 lbs. They charged me 10 a lb for Choice.

Trimmed them into 2" strips, against the grain. I ended up carving it all, and vac sealed into meal sized bags for future use..

This was dinner-

Also took some inch thick Chuck eyes (all they had, would've preferred thicker) Cut them in half and skewered them up too

Picanha

Also made some Shrimp marinaded in Lime and jalapeno, and dakkochi chicken thighs. I soaked some mushrooms in a really nice balsalmic as well.. The sausage is homemade Andouille

It works great. I farked it up somewhat though.. I probably made the fire too hot, or just not familiar enough with it yet, but dangit if that Picanha didn't hit 135 internal in like 5 minutes. Carryover prolly took it to 140, which is waaaay over for me personally. Flavor was great and all, but I would have preferred much more red, less gray/pink. I was not expecting it to cook that fast at all. I ended up shuffling skewers top to bottom and back as I learned the kit better, and figured out how to better finish a bunch of different proteins at the same time and have everything warm at the table (mostly)

Had Mr and Mrs ChicagoKP and family over for the maiden voyage.

MEAT!

Last edited:
Man - I knew when I didn't get in on the Kickstarter I was gonna regret it - but $ was tight at that time. But I still should have done it. :tsk:

That looks amazing and I know you're gonna turn out some killer grub with that!

Luckily I have a Brazilian Market in my neighborhood and they sell picanha.

Dang - I want one!

Very cool Shaggy!

Thanks, Greg! Its a very nice kit. Fit and finish is top notch. I would recommend it if you're still thinking about it.

Looking forward to possibly doing a prime rib on it next weekend.. :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I want one of those, that company is going to be very successful with that product. The food looks perfect.

Jack

Food looks amazing, Matt! I may have to get one next opportunity! How stable is it on the kettle?

It's as stable as the kettle is. The arms are adjustable so you set the width to fit your cooker. The skewers also have a set screw so they fit at any setting. I had zero issues with instability. The unit weighs 40lbs which helps keep it stable.

Looks real tasty. I see that's cut from the top sirloin but never heard of picahna but I assume it's just a different name for the top sirloin cap?

Looks real tasty. I see that's cut from the top sirloin but never heard of picahna but I assume it's just a different name for the top sirloin cap?

Yes, picanha is cut from the top sirloin cap. Ask for the fat cap to be left in place. Here's a video that may help -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw6T1-a56bE"]How to cut a Picanha Steak - YouTube[/ame]

Have you thought about using it with your vertical in the shirley? I'm thinking about getting one for that purpose.

Matt what's the diameter of the skewer? Is it 1/2" or smaller?
You get 2 skewer sizes with it - 4 large and 2 small. The small are prolly 1/2" and the large are prolly 3/4" maybe a little bigger? I can measure them tonight if you want. They all have a bend in them for added rigidity. The small is basically a V, the large is a V with a 1/4" of flat steel on either side of the V. I can put up some pics tonight. Its a nice design, definitely adds some strength. Only downside is you need to skewer slightly larger items. The shrimp I used were only 30-35/lb count (I'm cheap, they were on sale) and they were barely big enough for the small skewer.

Have you thought about using it with your vertical in the shirley? I'm thinking about getting one for that purpose.

I had thought about it, but the kettle is just easier. You would have to put the motor end inside the warmer, so I would worry about melting the power cord (although it it built very well and they obviously planned for lots of heat) I will set it up tonight if I remember and take a pic. I think if you ran the cable out the damper to the main chamber it could work..

That thing looks sweet, but I'd have to see a bunch more of y'alls cooks before I think I would be interested in one. I am interested in a roti, but this seems a little specialized and pricey. It does look like it is very well made, so I am sure it is worth it. Just not something I think I "need". Yet...

You get 2 skewer sizes with it - 4 large and 2 small. The small are prolly 1/2" and the large are prolly 3/4" maybe a little bigger? I can measure them tonight if you want. They all have a bend in them for added rigidity. The small is basically a V, the large is a V with a 1/4" of flat steel on either side of the V. I can put up some pics tonight. Its a nice design, definitely adds some strength. Only downside is you need to skewer slightly larger items. The shrimp I used were only 30-35/lb count (I'm cheap, they were on sale) and they were barely big enough for the small skewer.
Thanks Matt, I have that thing coming out that will work on his skewers then. Basically it will fit up to a 9/16" spit or skewer... or 1/2" very comfortable.

Yea those bends definitely add strength.

Looks awesome Matt! Solid unit right there. I had a change of heart around the end of that campaign so I dropped out. Wasn't really going to work for what I had in mind.

Looks awesome Matt! Solid unit right there. I had a change of heart around the end of that campaign so I dropped out. Wasn't really going to work for what I had in mind.

Thanks!

That's funny, I was just thinking, "I'm surprised Sako hasn't posted his first cook, yet"

Back