looking for good bbq in Charlotte, NC

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Heading back to Michigan this weekend from Florida and planning a half way stop in Charlotte. I'd like to hit a good bbq spot for Saturday night. Would appreciate any suggestions from brethren in the area.

If you want to stay in Charlotte and not venture towards Lexington I have had some pretty tasty brisket and ribs at Midwood smokehouse. in Charlotte. I'd get the pigout platter. They have a pigout platter with a bit of everything if you just wanted to sample.

My favorite Q-joint in the Charlotte area is "Mac's Speed Shop".
I haven't had anything there that wasn't really good!
They also compete.

Please give us an update after you stop and eat wherever - your thoughts about your experience. THANKS!

it's Charlotte North Carolina!!! goood bbq should JUMP into your mouth like good pizza does in Brooklyn. :grin:

it's Charlotte North Carolina!!! goood bbq should JUMP into your mouth like good pizza does in Brooklyn. :grin:

You would THINK that, but sadly it's not the case. A combination of taxes and regulations make it really hard to do a true Carolina style BBQ joint in the city. That doesn't mean there isn't some dang tasty food to be found. Just that brick pits and to a degree stick burners are a giant pain in the butt when it comes to the laws of the land in Charlotte.

If I lived closer I'd love to make up a picnic basket and hand it off like a BBQ baton on his long journey back north.:heh:

Chris, I thought Midwood had closed??? Anyway, Spoon's BBQ on Pineville Road is the best and has been for almost 50 years. The current owners are the third generation and the Q is wonderful.

Chris, I thought Midwood had closed??? Anyway, Spoon's BBQ on Pineville Road is the best and has been for almost 50 years. The current owners are the third generation and the Q is wonderful.

Nope, it's still open. BTW I totally forgot about Spoons, but I also still would go to Midwood. The reason being that my last stop at Spoons had some seriously dry bbq and a waitress that didn't care if we were there or not. Is it fair to totally knock a place out for a bad lat experience? Nope, but in a town with so many places to eat and since I was trying to insure a decent meal for mjpmap I couldn't send him somewhere that I wasn't treated well on my last visit.

Again, I HAVE had very good stuff at Spoons before.

Chris, I'll have to go by Midwood on my next trip to Charlotte. I wonder who it was that closed in Central Ave. area? Also, I'll go by Spoons and get an update for myself. Their grandparents were great guys who were actually the first folks to bring true Eastern NC BBQ to Charlotte. Thanks for the info, Chris.....Joe

Chris, I'll have to go by Midwood on my next trip to Charlotte. I wonder who it was that closed in Central Ave. area? Also, I'll go by Spoons and get an update for myself. Their grandparents were great guys who were actually the first folks to bring true Eastern NC BBQ to Charlotte. Thanks for the info, Chris.....Joe

LOL!! Now you're gonna get food poisoning from Midwood after I talked you into giving it a whirl. :laugh:

Back