Venison Sausages

okie smoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, we got a couple deer this year already and hoping for at least one more. I want to try making a few sausage recipes including breakfast sausage, summer sausage and kielbasa. I have an offset style stick burner smoker, and just got a grinder with the sausage attachments. So, thoughts, ideas and recipes for the various sausages we want to try?

My wife and I have several unique and tasty seasonings available, all come with full directions/suggestions and cures where needed. Our website is in my signature.

Jerky
- Original
- Cracked Black Pepper & Garlic
- Honey BBQ
- Teriyaki
- Hickory
- Mesquite
- Sweet & Spicy
- Maple Jalapeno

Brats
- Mushroom
- Buffalo Wing
- Philly Cheese Steak
- Bacon Cheeseburger
- Sriracha
- Wisconsin Style
- Bacon Ranch

Fresh Sausage
- Pork
- Hot Pork
- Maple

Cooked/Smoked Sausage
- Ground & Formed Bacon
- Hot Dog
- Summer Sausage
- Garlic Summer Sausage
- Red Barn Bologna

Snack Stick
- Chipotle Wildfire
- Seven Pepper
- Honey BBQ

I do 100 degrees for an hour then 180 for 4-5 hours until IT of 165. I use a 3-1 deer to pork mixture and a LEM snack stick seasoning. Also, I like to add high temp cheese. You should cool them down right after removal. However, they will never taste better than right out of the smoker.

MossyMO, doesn't look like the links work. I'd like to check out your stuff.

Let me clarify...if I am doing a venison summer sausage, is either beef or pork (or their fat) an option for mixing in? I want to make some to share and I have friends that don't eat beef and some that don't eat pork.

I use the Hi-Mountain summer sausage kit with vension, and have had great success. I mix in some pork butt with the ground venison. I also make vension brats, vension italian sausage, vension cajun sausage, and venison breakfast sausage. I use AC Legg Seasoning. I must say I have never used the Owens BBQ seasonings, although I did check out the website, and I believe I will be ordering a couple to try something different.

I would say hands down the brats are my favorite to make and eat. Just made 50 brats a few days ago.

Let me clarify...if I am doing a venison summer sausage, is either beef or pork (or their fat) an option for mixing in? I want to make some to share and I have friends that don't eat beef and some that don't eat pork.

Use ground up pork butt or ground beef chuck with your venison. Both have a good marbling of fat in each and will provide a great finished product mixing with Venison.

I usually go 75/25 with my summer sausages.

I'll post a recipe later but for summer sausage I do 5lbs lean venison : 1lb pork breakfast sausage. That gives you an even number for two 3lbs rolls. We only made 30lbs this year but usually do around 100lbs for Christmas gifts.

Buy your casings for summer sausage from Sausagemaker.com.
The hi-temp cheese works - but get a spicy one - sharp cheddar is bland.
You can test -taste other sausage mixes by frying up a small patty before stuffing.
Breakfast sausage is good.
Here is a good one, back off the salt a bit, DO NOT ADD PRAGUE OR CURING SALT
IF YOU ARE NOT SMOKING IT.

This is the King of all Venison Sausages, and it's good. I copy and pasted:

"Of all my venison sausage recipes, this is the one I seem to get the most requests for. It was shared with me by my son-in-law, and is a favorite community recipe that is made into literally hundreds (if not thousands) of pounds of sausage every fall and winter.As a matter of fact, the recipe in its original form is for a 150 pound batch. We had to do the math to get it into this more workable ten pound version."

Recipe

reddivider.gif

6 1/2 lbs of trimmed venison

• 3 1/2 lbs of fatty pork shoulder or trimmings. You want a 20% fat mix when you are done
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons onion powder
  • 3 tablespoons Accent
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon paprika1 teaspoon sage
  • 1 teaspoon crushed mustard seed
  • 2 teaspoons cure (Prague powder or Instacure #1)
  • (only if Smoking)
  • 2 cups ice water

1. Cut all the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, then grind it though the mediu plate of your meat grinder.
  2. Take all the spices and cure and mix them well into the 2 cups of ice water.
  3. Pour the water and spice mix into the ground meat and work it all in by hand for at least a couple of minutes to ensure a homogenous mix.
  4. Stuff the sausage into 32-35mm natural or collagen casings and prepare the links for the smoker.
  5. Once the smoking process is completed, package the links and either keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze them for up to 4 months. Click here for smoking directions.
"This recipe is also very good when made as a fresh sausage. If you choose that option, you would obviously leave out the cure! but you may want to add 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke for flavor."

I've made it a bunch of times without cure, just as fresh sausage.
It is a winner, cut back on the salt a bit.

Use ground up pork butt or ground beef chuck with your venison. Both have a good marbling of fat in each and will provide a great finished product mixing with Venison.

I usually go 75/25 with my summer sausages.

75% venison / 25% pork butt or chuck, right?

Vension Summer Sausage:

5lbs-Lean Ground Vension
1lb-Pork Breakfast Sausage

1C-Ice Water
4Tbs-Soy Flour
3Tbs-Morton's Tender Quick
3Tbs-Coarse Ground Black Pepper
3Tbs-Mustard Seeds
1.5Tsp-Garlic Powder
1.5Tsp-Onion Powder
1Tsp-Cayenne Pepper

Mix ice water and dry ingredients together then mix in with venison and pork. Place mixture in a ziplock bag for 1-3 days so flavors can blend. Soak fibrous casings in warm water for 30 minutes then stuff tightly using a sausage stuffer or grinder attachment. Tie loose end with string or hog rings. Fire up your smoker to 275f and cook sausages until IT is 165f for 5 minutes. (Usually 2 hours). Immediately after they are done drop them in a cooler full of ice water to start the cool down process and to shrink casings. I don't recommend using an oven but if so be sure to line the bottom rack with foil or something to catch the drippings (learned this the hard way). :shocked: I usually wait a day or so before slicing so the sausage can firm up. I just pulled some out of the freezer I had vaccum sealed from 2 years ago and it's still good. I used to use the High Mountain summer sausage kits but this is the way to go IMHO. Hope this helps!!

Vension Summer Sausage:

5lbs-Lean Ground Vension
1lb-Pork Breakfast Sausage

1C-Ice Water
4Tbs-Soy Flour
3Tbs-Morton's Tender Quick
3Tbs-Coarse Ground Black Pepper
3Tbs-Mustard Seeds
1.5Tsp-Garlic Powder
1.5Tsp-Onion Powder
1Tsp-Cayenne Pepper

Mix ice water and dry ingredients together then mix in with venison and pork. Place mixture in a ziplock bag for 1-3 days so flavors can blend. Soak fibrous casings in warm water for 30 minutes then stuff tightly using a sausage stuffer or grinder attachment. Tie loose end with string or hog rings. Fire up your smoker to 275f and cook sausages until IT is 165f for 5 minutes. (Usually 2 hours). Immediately after they are done drop them in a cooler full of ice water to start the cool down process and to shrink casings. I don't recommend using an oven but if so be sure to line the bottom rack with foil or something to catch the drippings (learned this the hard way). :shocked: I usually wait a day or so before slicing so the sausage can firm up. I just pulled some out of the freezer I had vaccum sealed from 2 years ago and it's still good. I used to use the High Mountain summer sausage kits but this is the way to go IMHO. Hope this helps!!

Could I substitute beef fat and a little more vension to reach the 6# mark for my friends that don't eat pork?

Check out Hank Shaw's venison recipes for sausage. He has a bunch of amazing, unique things going on. honest-food.net.

Second, I think this discussion has been had a few times recently but, I would highly suggest buying a dedicated stuffer... especially if you are planning on doing sausage in bulk (which is what is sounds like your plan is). Trying to stuff sausage through the stuffer can be done but, it's definitely not as easy and your end product a lot of times won't have the right consistency that you want unless you are very careful.

Back