• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri Tip Dinner

mamabieniek

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have volunteered for a fundraiser. We are serving Tri Tip sandwiches and I dont know how to figure cost for 300. How much do I buy and how long should I BBQ it to ensure a perfet Tri tip

$1,000,000! Sure it's pricey, but, you only need to sell one. :becky:

Is that Fortuna, CA? I know that place. If so, I have seen tri-tip sandwiches go for as much as $9.00 a pop in Arcata, and $8 a pop in Cutten. I think if you are offering a decent sized sandwich, that is a reasonable cost. I know the local shops up there are all in that range as well.

How to figure costs:
300 portions, assume 1/3 pound finished product per person
You need 99 pounds of finished product. In my experience, tri-tip cooked to a medium level loses about 10% of it's weight, you also lose about 5% in trimming and waste. Therefore you need 115 pounds of raw tri-tip.

Buns will run you about 25 cents a piece and you need 300
Condiments is tricky, if you are going to offer only BBQ sauce, 1.5 ounces per sandwich is a good estimate, therefore 3.5 gallons BBQ sauce.

Depending on cost of the tri-tip, you are looking at
115 lbs tri-tip at $6.50 a pound=$750
300 buns at .25 each=$75
BBQ sauce 3.5 gallons at $32/gal=$112

This will leave you with a food cost of $3.12 per sandwich (does not include charcoal, labor, condiments). You can assume that at this rate of cost, you are looking at a total per sandwich profit of somewhere around $3 per sandwich, assuming volunteer labor. If you can get donations, especially meat and charcoal, you could push that to $5 per sandwich.

Incidentally, a good way to increase your bottom line on sales like this, is to offer cheap sodas and chips, as folks like to have a little extra.

In terms of cooking the tri-tip, to some degree, it matters what you are cooking on. If you have access to a Santa Maria type grill, or other large charcoal grill. Run a moderate fire (if you can hold your hand above the fire for 4-5 seconds), cook the tri-tips turning frequently, until they are around 140°F internal. This is a little more done that I prefer, but, I have found I get a lot fewer complaints with 140°F internal versus 130°F, which I prefer. Depending on the size of the meat, you are in the 40 minutes range. This is slow cooking, not the "steak method" many people use.

If you are using a large smoker, than run it at 225°F cooking temperature, and smoke the meat to the 140°F internal temperature. It will take 40 to 50 minutes.

In either case, remove from cooker and rest in a cooler for 15 minutes before slicing.

^^^Great feedback

$ Therefore you need 115 pounds of raw tri-tip.

So what is that, like 30 tri-tips?

A lot of labor associated with prepping, cooking and slicing. Esp if you are cooking to rare - med-rare. I guess manageable if the traffic is staggered over time. I would be interested in learning from your processes. I've done tri-tip for small groups, but default to pulled pork or shredded beef for a crowed.

Looking to pick up some pointers on how this works out. We love tri-tip and could see this being a popular choice.

Again, it depends on sourcing and decisions you make about purchasing. I buy from Cash & Carry, I can choose between peeled ($6/pound) and unpeeled ($3.75/pound). Obviously, if I am cooking 10 pounds, the price difference is negligible. Push that to 50 pounds and were talking money now. However, peeling 50 pounds of tri-tip is a bother.

Typically, a tri-tip will run between 1.75 pounds to 2.5 pounds. So you are looking at prepping 50 or so, tri-tips. Just a matter of where you feel your knife skills are at.

In terms of something like a charity feed, you have a couple of options in terms of slicing. There is the show of having someone slicing, two to three people would be plenty. However, if you have access to a good commercial slicer, you can get much better, more consistent product, faster, with one person and a nice slicer.

nice cooker!

I've been getting a little bored with cooking briskets on my UDS, and have been thinking maybe I could make a temporary pit like this.

nice cooker!

I've been getting a little bored with cooking briskets on my UDS, and have been thinking maybe I could make a temporary pit like this.

that was my first welding project before i started my smoker build. it worked great!

The real expert on these cooks is ChuckwagonBBQ, maybe he will chime in.

Thanks for all the input. I was planning on 30 roasts @ 4.49 a lb.Just wanted to make sure it was enough. Baked beans and salad are the sides. No condiments, we are serving them to go.

I am BBQing on a charcoal bbq that was made for me and I have a professional slicer. I wasnt sure how long to grill them. I hate dry meat so I want them perfect. Thank you all who replied

It all depends on the heat of the fire and the distance from the grate. The units I have worked on were all adjustable. The best way to judge the heat is to place your hand over the grate, a fire that allows you to leave your hand there for 4 seconds is good for how I cook. 6 seconds and you will be in the hotter range, more like steaks than tri-tips. A 4 second fire will be in the range of 35 to 45 minutes, a 6 second fire is more like 20. Flip often with either method

Not much to add to the cost side of things, landarc has is right, I cook a lot of tri tip & its right on. What I want to know is where are you getting it for 4.49 a pound? Best price in Ventura last week was 5.69 at Costco, I watch prices and go where its best, but I like the quality at Costco.
Landarc, I must trim a lot more than you, I loose more in my trimming, but thats just what I do. I have seen some that cook without trimming at all, just not for me that way.

Normally I buy peeled tri-tips. That saves a lot on trimming, and at Cash and Carry, even the unpeeled ones are pretty well peeled.

$4.49 a pound would be a dream for tri-tip, that would be like $2.00 brisket

Back