Pricing / situation / question

Willy's Q Shack

Got Wood.
Reaction score
When not doing events I rent a lot that I vend from, pretty much road side que from my concession trailer. Today a woman came up and wanted pulled pork & brisket but did not want the roll for either. No big deal, I get that request fairly often. My price for the pulled pork sandwich is $7.00 & a brisket sandwich is $9.00.

When I get a request like this I typically add a little more meat. This lady felt that I should've charged her only $7.00 total and had me open the container for her to inspect the quantity. She then declined to accept the order....of course I had to throw this order away.

Am I charging to much? The amount of meat I put on a sandwich exceeds 1/4 pound. Weighing her order she was given 6.2 ounces of pork and 7.5 ounces of brisket....of course, no roll. She stormed off mad.

My response at the time of order:
We cannot adjust prices on out items, we will prepare the sandwich without bread, however the price remains as posted.

This is also why I would always post per pound prices

Put an $1.00 up charge for orders that vary from the menu specs. The will order with the bun and not pay the extra dollar.

I charge the same with the bun or not. I have not had anyone bring this up.

My response at the time of order:
We cannot adjust prices on out items, we will prepare the sandwich without bread, however the price remains as posted.

This is also why I would always post per pound prices

The problem with that is most sandwiches are not half pound. See my above post.

You're fine! What does a bun cost anyway? Twenty cents? We get requests every day for sandwiches without bun, the price is the same and the meat goes in the tray. Don't sweat it.

Are you saying she expected to pay $7 for $16 worth of meat because you didn't give her 50 cents worth of bun? I'd have to say she was off her rocker.

She was the one out of line. However, too many people think BBQ should be priced like the McDonalds dollar menu.

We do the same as Landarc stated. When a "special" request is made we inform the buyer of the price up front. This way they get to decide if they wish to "contract" with your or not and if they decide not to "order" you are then out nothing since you did not prepare the order prior to the contract being made. And she was totally out of line for the reason CPW stated above. These types of "customers" are not customers. They are people who are trying to take advantage of you and it is best not to "contract" with them up front.

Your menu is an offer. If the customer orders they are accepting your offer and a contract exists. If they make a counter offer, up front, then you can either accept or not and then a contract is dependent upon your choice. She was making a counter offer AFTER a contract existed. She was in breach of contract at the point that she refused to pay. But, if you avoid this by telling the customer of the price of an "adjustment" up front you will be shutting her down before you "lose" anything. :mrgreen:

I'll add maybe 1oz of pork on a "hold the bun" order. Like stated about a bun is 20 cents and 1oz of pulled pork is roughly 19 cents cost.

careful with "per pound" prices unless you're running a certified scale with a print out. one person complains to your local department of weights and measures and it won't be fun. We run sizes Small, Medium, and Large. 1/3lb, 2/3lb, 1lb AVERAGE. Not a guarantee of weight. I charge $10 for a sandwich with a side, regardless of pork, beef or chicken. If you don't want a roll, it's still 10 dollars, as others have said, it's $.30 of the entire price, don't allow, or CHARGE for substitutions. We have a taco place that charges you if you'd like the ingredients on the side for the taco. he goes thru a lot less packaging.

I am a Sales Manager for (6) Salesmen and they often come to me with a story about a customer who told them they were out of line on price. It's interesting because when WE hear something like that from just ONE customer, we think it represents ALL customers... and it doesn't. You are FINE! As a matter of fact you gave her more expensive product to make up for cheap product. You were spot on as it pertains to a grateful servant to the public for their business. Let her try that at "Famous Dave's" and see what happens. I apologize for the rant but NEVER let one customer direct your marketing and/or sales tactics of you entire operation. Good Luck to You.

When you go to a fast food joint and ask for a hamburger you still pay full price of its plain or loaded. Crazy woman lol

Back