• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Review my Dinner Plan for 120

happyappy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My son’s rehearsal dinner is quickly approaching; meaning I have to nail down my plan for the food prep for approximately 120 people (105 adults 15 kids). I’ve learned a lot from the brethren here…this site has been a tremendous resource. I’ve summarized my menu, quantities and work plan below. I’d appreciate any feedback where you see opportunities to improve the plan; especially on quantity.

Pulled Pork

80 lbs of uncooked pork butts, smoked pulled and refrigerated in half pans 2 days prior to the event. I assume I’ll end up with approximately 40 lbs of cooked meat, about 1/3 lb per person. I’ll reheat with Lexington style “dip” to retain moisture and store in coolers for a couple hours prior to dinner. Served in foil chafing dishes
120 buns (assuming several folks won’t use buns) BBQ sauce and Lexington-Style dip available.

BBQ Slaw

30 lbs of grated cabbage in Lexington-style Red Vinegar sauce made 2 days in advance to allow time to pickle. Served cold in foil pans. (I have no idea if this is the right amount!)

Hot Dogs

120 all beef dogs cooked on site using my blackstone griddle. Two crock pots full of chili and all the other fixings (onions, slaw, mustard, ketchup) . 120 buns

Green Beans

Four gallons of cut green beans, doctored up with onions, bacon fat and black pepper. Cooked on-site using stockpot and propane burner. Transferred to chafing dishes for serving.

Cold Corn Salad

2 gallons of corn mixed with 5 lbs of peppers and 2 lbs of purple onions with vinegar sauce made a day ahead and refrigerated. Served cold in foil pans.

Drinks

10 gallons of sweet tea, 10 gallons of unsweet tea, 5 gallons of lemonade, 300 small water bottles.

Watermelon

Three average watermelons cut into small pieces later in the evening for snack.

Thank you!!

Off-hand, that looks like plenty of food. 30 pounds equals about 1/4 pound of slaw per person, that is plenty. Seems like you have given it a lot of thought

Thanks for the confirmation on the slaw. Quantities have been the biggest questions I've had to deal with.

Happy-Not trying to highjack your thread but i am in the same boat. Figuring out the side dish yields has been my biggest dilemma. I don't like store bought slaw or potato salad and i make my own. My problem is how to figure the total weight it will be when I'm done. My thought is to start off with (X) amount of cabbage and use that number for my total weight. Now i also add peppers, dressing, onions, carrots etc…But i guess that will just give me more total weight and i am guaranteed not to run out.

Generally, the key is recipes. Most restaurants operate with a set of recipes for all dishes. I know, that's not how it looks on t.v. But, really, recipes are where it is at. Once you develop a recipe for a given side dish (say cole slaw) determine what that recipe can make. In terms of portioning, most use weight, but, a few use ounces volume. In any event, make the recipe you like, recording all ingredients and measures. Then determine how many portions it made. From here, scaling is easy.

The more you turn your basic dishes into recorded recipes, the easier it is to accurately buy and cook for events. Back when I worked in a kitchen everyday, one of my jobs was to make the six sauces we used everyday, although I only had 30 minutes to pull it all together, they were always made per the recipe.

I agree on recipes; but most of my recipes are for a much smaller yield. I'm not always sure recalculating a recipe that says it feeds six to feed 100 will necessarily be the right amount of servings. It really comes down to experience serving large numbers...something I don't have.

I feel good that we'll have plenty of food. Just not sure on the sides...

I agree on recipes; but most of my recipes are for a much smaller yield. I'm not always sure recalculating a recipe that says it feeds six to feed 100 will necessarily be the right amount of servings. It really comes down to experience serving large numbers...something I don't have.

I feel good that we'll have plenty of food. Just not sure on the sides...

In terms of portions size (weight/volume) scaling is usually fairly accurate. Where a person usually runs into issues is when they scale up the "seasoning" ingredients. Just because you go "x 10" for the recipe doesn't mean you would go "x 10" on the amount of...say....cinnamon or pepper or salt, etc. With the main ingredients...say....beans, corn, etc "x 10" is fine. It's the "flavoring" that can over power if using the same multiplier. And their contribution to the overall weight/volume of the recipe is negligible so smaller increase do not affect the "# of serving" but can save the recipe by not overpowering in the taste aspect.

NOTE: after re-reading that......it is about as clear as mud.....but it's the best I can do without my full pot of coffee this morning. :faint:

Back