Do ya'll usually make your own spice rubs/mops or buy store pre made?

I have to say both. I make my own and enjoy tweaking them to see how it changes. However, there are some really good commercial ones out there and a few of them are in the rack here!

I use my own 90% of the time. As with the store bought ones, I too have spent countless hours crafting them and I like them a whole lot.

People often will buy me some rubs and sauces they find,and I occasionally buy some myself. I'll use them here and there, or when I'm running low on my own stuff and don't have time to make more for a week or two.

But at the end of the day, I developed my 2 rubs and sauce to be exactly what I want, so I do prefer them to just about anything else. Plus, as a competitor I like sing to take the credit. I can't imagine winning an award using something that I didn't make.

I came up with my own. Took almost a year of tinkering to meticulously get it exactly like I wanted it. When I finally got it, BAM! It was magic! It was AWESOME! Then I kept hearing how everyone was recommending the Oakridge Black Ops, so I gave it a try......... Tastes just like mine, so now I order it. In my case it's was easier, and cheaper to order than make it myself.

for the most part, we use a doctored version of a commercial rub and head country sauce.

I like tinkering with sauces, but the wife does not like bbq sauce, that was until she had some head country hot and spicy, now that's all she will eat sauce wise.

I make all of my own rubs and sauces. It is what nakes my cooking unique to me. Being in and from Texas my brisket rub is very simple. Not as simple as S&P but close. My rib rubs are more complex and IMHO better then most of the commercial rubs I have tasted. Sauce to me is a condiment that I do like from time to time, and my scratch sauce is unique and good. I spent several years getting it where I liked. Now I have people asking me for it. I like experimenting with different flavor combinations of food and spices. It to me makes cooking fun.

Back