Making Some Side Cash

What would be the minimums for satisfactorily going legit ...in most states. 3 wash bins, a thermometer, ...and what else (besides the license/permit).

I've considered doing something similar last football season, ...and got some interest from folks, but couldn't nail down what I needed to legitimize things so I just cooked for myself.

a certified commercial kitchen

I'm suing you because you live near me and we haven't met, and you haven't been to the SoCal bashes.

Is there a lawyer in the house?

John, that may sound absurd to most people but it happens. I can't go into the details for legal reasons. I will tell you though when I was sued along with my parents, my father had never and I mean never met the person filing suit against him. Trust me the court system is really screwed up. I guarantee there is a lawyer out there that would honestly be all for you doing that. I know you are joking but it does happen every single day. I am insured now for that sort of thing to protect myself in the future.

I have experienced frivolous lawsuits first hand. It's no picnic and cost about $75000. It's not a joke. People are offering advice like this because who is going to back him up in a law suit? His insurance will not back him up. He will be hung out to dry. People are very fast to file a suit these days and even if you win your legal costs are not considered damages therefore they are non-recoverable. Right or wrong doesn't matter in the eyes of the law. You have the right to represent yourself so you are free to choose not to have a lawyer so it is considered something you choose therefore not damages.

My point is it can get very ugly very quickly. While I will say you wont lose your home as your first residence is protected even if you and your spouse are sued your money is not safe and neither are your wages. They will garnish your wages if you lose a lawsuit. If you don't do it legit you are just asking for trouble. Take it from a guy who has fought off a law suit. It's not a picnic and it has gone on for years. It is pure hell. Don't put yourself at risk for something so stupid as not getting the proper permits. There are temporary permits in PA at least. They even ease regulations a little bit to make it more doable.

For a couple bucks do it legit as it isn't worth the headache if you get caught.
Probably you won't get caught but if you do you will regret it.

John, that may sound absurd to most people but it happens. ....For a couple bucks do it legit as it isn't worth the headache if you get caught.

Probably you won't get caught but if you do you will regret it.

I live in California, and my day job involves supporting our Litigation team.

I believe every word you said. The only position I haven't been in in court is as an officer (Judge, bailiff, reporter, clerk, or lawyer).

My comment was to my Yorba Linda Brother (I am probably 10 minutes max from him, but we haven't met) in jest.

I think the rub here is that no one wants to give you bad advice. Bad advice could land you in hot water and no one wants to see you in that position. We would all tell our relatives, friends and neighbors the same advice you were given. I will give you some advice from a personal experience. I was having a garage sale and my son wanted to make some cash, how about selling hot dogs? I called the local health dept and ran it by them and they told me as long as he didn't charge money for the hot dogs we could do it. No problem, free hot dogs with a tip jar and the kid made more than if he had put a price on the dogs.

That being said, you are not a young person who makes like $5 per week in allowance. If you are making anything that resembles income my advice would be to go legit, report earnings to Caesar, and sleep well at night. That's the advice I would give to my best friend or brother.

Best wishes, cheers!

I live in California, and my day job involves supporting our Litigation team.

I believe every word you said. The only position I haven't been in in court is as an officer (Judge, bailiff, reporter, clerk, or lawyer).

My comment was to my Yorba Linda Brother (I am probably 10 minutes max from him, but we haven't met) in jest.
You bastard! :becky:

After reading this thread I would like to add my $0.02 worth. *Disclaimer, I am not a lawyer nor have I ever played one on TV and I didn't just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That being said. It doesn't even have to be your food that makes someone sick. Nor does it have to be the person you sold to originally. What if some one bought your food then gave it to someone else. They get sick after eating it. The cause was really a bad burger they made the day before, but they remember that they got some BBQ. Now your friend you sold it to isn't the litigious type, but their friend is and they come after you. That is just one scenario I can think of.

I do work in a field where we look at risk and risk management very closely. We look to identify, analyze and evaluate risk to monitor and mitigate the possibility of loss. For my company that can be millions of $$$. Do you want to take on this type of risk involved in cooking for people without the proper licenses and insurance? Does this expose you to risk? Yes, how much risk? That is up to you to figure out.

a certified commercial kitchen

What would be the minimums for satisfactorily going legit ...in most states. 3 wash bins, a thermometer, ...and what else (besides the license/permit).

A commercial kitchen, unless you have everything on a trailer considered satisfactory for the County or State you are in.
The area I have been looking into would want a cold storage for anything you need to keep cold (Under 40F), maybe a nice large cooler could work, but i'm not sure. Warm storage, for holding temps above (135F), I believe. The ability to produce hot water on site storing 5 Gal minimum, with 3 wash system. Thermometers to check storage temps. I find the hot water production and water storage to be the hardest part to fix up.
ButtBurner hit the nail on the head though, there is no way you are going to get by with your at home kitchen prepping. Even with a Temp Permit you need access to a commissary kitchen (I don't have any around, that I know of yet).

Edit: Could you just heat water up using a large pot / propane burner and pour it into an insulated (say 15 Gal or so) container? Still though, I guess you would need to prep food at a health code approved kitchen beforehand. Thinking out loud sorry folks.

Note to self....Don't ever...I mean ever...ask the brethren for opinions on selling Q' on the sly...Only questions on how to smoke, cook, what type of briquettes, rubs, sauces, etc. Unless, of course, I'm feeling mischievous and want to watch the s**t storm that develops.
:twisted:

I think there is something to say about this severity of the subject then don't you? Very nice group of folks here, but this subject obviously is a little more serious than debating/arguing over the best fuel, cooker, temps to cook meat, etc.

I was having a garage sale and my son wanted to make some cash, how about selling hot dogs? I called the local health dept and ran it by them and they told me as long as he didn't charge money for the hot dogs we could do it. No problem, free hot dogs with a tip jar and the kid made more than if he had put a price on the dogs.

So then, I assume since the individuals consumed the hot dogs on your property and you didn't technically 'charge' you are safe if they get 'sick' or choke? Obviously your never safe though, like it has been covered 100X over on this thread.

This brings up another question for me, legally what happens if you serve food at your home and someone comes after you saying they got sick? Homeowners insurance covers that?

So then, I assume since the individuals consumed the hot dogs on your property and you didn't technically 'charge' you are safe if they get 'sick' or choke? Obviously your never safe though, like it has been covered 100X over on this thread.

This brings up another question for me, legally what happens if you serve food at your home and someone comes after you saying they got sick? Homeowners insurance covers that?

Depends on the policy but probably. I would advise you check your policy if you want to know. I have an umbrella policy and am covered for a lot. We pay thirty bucks a month for ours and it's 1 million dollars in extra coverage.

Now I have no problem telling people that because well insurance companies never hand over money willingly. As long as I don't so anything intentionally I am safe. Now you break any rules or laws they will drop you very fast.

My wife got hit by a guy in a parking lot and he tried to lie and say she hit him. They went after him very fast and cleared my wife of any wrong doing. So yeah since we are such good customers they ripped him a new one.

Best advice I can give anyone is insure yourself and don't skimp on insurance in anything. Better to pay more and sleep well at night.

Thanks for officially jumping the shark! Or are you charging them for the privilege of dining at your house? Very clear the line in the sand is elusive at this juncture.

Don't argue for the sake of arguing. I remind my kids all the time.

Cheers.

I checked a while back and mine covers it.

No, giving away food does not protect you from liability in the event someone gets sick. If someone had gotten sick from those "free" hotdogs, they could have sued. They almost assuredly would not win the suit, but, as anyone who has been sued can tell you, you start losing the minute you are served.

And no, the IRS would never come after that kid, or for that matter, the OP. Just not enough money.

And yes, at least as it applies in CA, you owe a due diligence for the safety of anyone who you invite into your home (and crazy enough, some amount to anyone in your home regardless of invitation). If you feed people, and they get sick, they could sue you.

I just read this whole thread for first time and despite how frustrated you have ALL made each other over this topic it IS a great thread. The truth of the matter is, even though we are a country that squawks "Land of the free, hard working entrepreneur success stories", we have as a country developed laws and legal systems that make it nearly impossible for a citizen to "make a few extra bucks". Don't get me started on rules and regulations started in some specific states that find their way into the rest of the states. I have searched this forum as well the entire web for some small hint that I COULD do what was asked by Cseymour... Nobody gave me the thumbs up I was looking for. It's like ooking for a thumbs up on cheating the IRS. That said, I have been pulled in by the IRS for a $200 mistake and I DO cook for freinds, family and co-workers and I DO take a free tank of propane on exchange... I also purchased insurance as a "Private Cook" and have all the food handlers certs that is required of the Health Department, not because I lawfully had to, because the law was a mute point at this stage of the game, but because I wanted to KNOW for the safety of my freinds. Do what you want. Just know there certainly are arssholes in this day and age just looking for an opportunity to ruin someone's day. This comes to you from a BAD, BAD CRIMINAL. LOL

Last edited:
Back