REAL Olive Oil...

It still remains a fact. Check the awards, but more importantly the World Olive Oil Council says so and has done for 11 years now.
:thumb:

I'm not discounting the facts in the link. I would not put a whole lot of weight from a website built by a left wing activist.

I'm not discounting the facts in the link. I would not put a whole lot of weight from a website built by a left wing activist.

I don't box it like that, political leaning doesn't make a source dishonest in my experience. I still check tho, Fox is pretty far right and they haven't said anything true since their inception!:heh:
^^^Humor people, let's have a laugh and stay on track!:laugh:

This thread is about great olive oils, not politics, friends.

Let's stay on topic, Brothers and Sisters!:thumb:

Pat and friends, Cobham Estate should be pretty easy to find I would imagine.
Yakdung, if you are a big of a nut as I am about OO, try some. You will taste the quality.

In the competition for best OO California, Italy and Spain were the best represented regions with 413 of 601 entries in this year’s competition with Australia accounting for only 14.
That is pretty significant.

jakel, Fratelli Carli doesn't own a single olive tree that isn't ornamental and their oil labels never state that their oil is 100% Italian.

My intention is to help, not be nationalistic.
It's about the quality of the food, and the brethren spirit.

Never said they did, just that it was good at a reasonable price and I can recommend it. I know it's not top shelf but I like it better than what I get in my local stores .

There's a great book on the subject called "Extra Virginity". It's a great read about the oils, and the scams that go on.

After reading it and doing some tasting, I'm buying the California Olive Ranch most of the time.

I love Lodestar EVOO----they also have lemon infused and garlic infused----this is a very small family owned business. They have been winning numerous awards at food shows in the west www.lodestarfarms.com

There's no reason to use extra virgin olive oil on something you're going to cook for a long time or cook at high heat...the flavor gets destroyed by hear and the oil will burn, use lighter oils to cook and save the good, expensive extra virgin olive oils to finish a dish off and add flavor after it's been cooked.

I'm with krex. Throwing away money. For high heat I use avocado oil from Costco. Light flavor, higher smoke point, healthy.

For bread or salads I use oils from The SPicy Olive, a store where they have bunches of different oils, flavored and not, plus lots of different balsamic vinegars. Great stuff.

http://www.thespicyolive.com/

Their Olive Oil with Bakloutis Green Chiles has become a staple in my house. Fantastic with eggs or with avocado and a little lemon juice and salt for breakfast spread. Smokin'.

There's no reason to use extra virgin olive oil on something you're going to cook for a long time or cook at high heat...the flavor gets destroyed by hear and the oil will burn, use lighter oils to cook and save the good, expensive extra virgin olive oils to finish a dish off and add flavor after it's been cooked.

I don't think Pat said he was going to use it for high heat cooking, what you say is obviously correct. Also important to point out, it is dangerous for your health to use EVOO at high temps.
I use it for low temp saute and it is magical. Mostly finish and always with any salad or pasta.
I like grapeseed oil for high heat cooking, but again we have gone off track.

Last edited:
I don't think Pat said he was going to use it for high heat cooking, what you say is obviously correct. Also imortant to point out, it is dangerous for your health to use EVOO at high temps.
I use it for low temp saute and it is magical. Mostly finish and always with any salad or pasta.
I like grapeseed oil for high heat cooking, but again we have gone off track.

Bingo. I use grapeseed for high heat applications.

California Estate Olive Oil

Back in 2012, Consumer reports did a blind test and amazingly, an oil from Trader Joe's came out the best. I couldn't find the article on CR anymore but did find a copy on another site. I've been using it ever since and is a good value, great taste and a nice green color...:

A good olive oil is a real treat, whether you’re dipping a piece of crusty bread, adding it to a bean salad, or drizzling it onto a tomato, mozzarella, and basil appetizer. The sales of olive oil have risen substantially over the last five years thanks to its heart-healthy benefits. You can pay just a few dollars for a bottle to more than a hundred!

Consumer Reports just tested almost two dozen extra-virgin olive oils from countries including Italy and Spain, as well as the state of California, to see whether they make the grade.

Expert consultants assess freshness and olive fruit flavors and determine whether there are any defects, such as oxidation. As the oil ages, it goes from slightly stale, wet cardboard, papier-mâché flavors all the way to rancid, painty notes. Extra-virgin olive oil is supposed to be top quality. Not only does it have to pass some basic lab tests but it also has to have an absolutely defect-free flavor, with no off-notes at all.

But testers found that only 9 of the 23 oils truly tasted like extra-virgin olive oil. And several big-name oils, including ones labeled extra-virgin from Bertolli and Goya, rated only fair. But Consumer Reports did find two excellent olive oils, both from California.

The McEvoy Ranch olive oil has an intense aroma with a distinct, balanced olive fruit flavor. But it’s pricey at $22 a bottle. For far less, Trader Joe’s California Estate olive oil, at $6 a bottle, is a great choice. It has very complex and balanced flavors with a strong aroma. Either would be a welcome addition to any dish that calls for drizzled olive oil.

Two other less-expensive olive oils rated very good in Consumer Reports’ tests. They’re the Kirkland Signature Select Toscano from Costco and the 365 Everyday Value 100% California Unfiltered Olive Oil from Whole Foods.

Be aware that when it comes to cooking, there’s no need to use a pricey olive oil. That’s because high heat can destroy the subtle flavors.

Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports’ website Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org.

I used to buy the Trader Joes olive oil, it's quite decent. I have yet to find Aussie olive oil, I suspect it's some secret trade agreement blocking it from CA

But testers found that only 9 of the 23 oils truly tasted like extra-virgin olive oil. And several big-name oils, including ones labeled extra-virgin from Bertolli and Goya, rated only fair. But Consumer Reports did find two excellent olive oils, both from California.

The McEvoy Ranch olive oil has an intense aroma with a distinct, balanced olive fruit flavor. But it’s pricey at $22 a bottle. For far less, Trader Joe’s California Estate olive oil, at $6 a bottle, is a great choice. It has very complex and balanced flavors with a strong aroma. Either would be a welcome addition to any dish that calls for drizzled olive oil.

Two other less-expensive olive oils rated very good in Consumer Reports’ tests. They’re the Kirkland Signature Select Toscano from Costco and the 365 Everyday Value 100% California Unfiltered Olive Oil from Whole Foods.

+1 for the Costco oil and the 365 from whole paycheck is quite good too and it's reasonably priced.
Caveat emptor when your buying olive oil...2/3rds of what is labeled EVOO out there is not!

You won't have tasted better than Cobham Estate.
Similar prices too
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=Australian+olive+oil"]Amazon.com: Australian olive oil: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OFYGtwh2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41OFYGtwh2L[/ame]

Back