2 eggs no hands

Rick,
The tabs are slightly bent. Should they be tweeked even more? I didn't want to crack the egg!

Rick,
The tabs are slightly bent. Should they be tweeked even more? I didn't want to crack the egg!

you have to bend the BOLT at least as much as this photo below. do it when the egg is cold. you will not break the egg with a wrench by hand. i'm not saying put a 4 foot leverage bar on there, but bend the bolt! you know how you cannot break an egg in your hand by squeezing it? it's the same principle. this bolt is the least bent of my three eggs. consider a hot dome falling out of the band when you open it. i've seen it happen on the big green egg forum... not pretty

springbandboltbend.jpg

Thanks for the advice Rick! I will go bend me a bolt right now!

hahaha! you better be bending two bolts per egg, mister!

the directions state slight bending of the bolts and band flanges is normal, and it's right here on the naked whiz's site: CLICK THIS

i've seen some bolts that were severely bent and the egg didn't break. i need to take photos of my other two egg's band bolts so i can show those since they are really bent.

remember, once the felt gasket gets compressed after a few months of use, you'll need to adjust the bands again and perform the "dollar bill pull out test" to determine if the dome is properly seating on the base. smoke escaping out the dome/base interface is a sign the bands need adjusting.

Back