License for feeding judges

widespread

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been cooking in a fund-raising comp run by a charity in Philadelphia for the past few years. It's a non-sanctioned, one day event, with a backyard/ amateur division and a restaurant/ caterer division. Participants in the restaurant/ caterer division can sell food to the public to raise money for the charity. Backyard/ amateur contestants cannot, just like a regular comp.
The organizer has contacted me about my experiences with health department requirements at other comp's. The city health department is telling her that all participants require a temporary food handling license, whether vending or not, since the judges will be eating our food as well.
I've never had to get a temp. license before, just wondering if anyone else has been in a comp or heard of one where this was required?

It is different in each state, county and city. We have been able to urge that the following:

1. Judges are invitees to a private event, not open to the public.
2. KCBS enforces appropriate standards for food safety.
Meat inspections, Meat storage, meat preparations, cooking and holding temps.
3 basin wash systems and cleanliness is required

I have been given a waiver at time and at time it goes to deaf ears.
Merl

PS What ever you do, do not say: "We are not worried about Judges, they are expendable." Now of course I did not mean it, it was a bad attempt at humor. The Health Department officer did not think it was funny either and gave me a lengthy lecture about food safety.

PS What ever you do, do not say: "We are not worried about Judges, they are expendable." Now of course I did not mean it, it was a bad attempt at humor. The Health Department officer did not think it was funny either and gave me a lengthy lecture about food safety.

You didn't really say that to a health inspector, did you Merl? I can imagine the look on his face!

Widespread... At a competition in Dubuque, IA we all had to pass an inspection from the health department and were given temporary permits for the people's choice. Apparently the health department was OK with the judges, but since the public was sampling the people's choice entry we need permits.

Rio Rancho?

Rio Rancho?

Perhaps it was the lady health inspector at rio rancho or perhaps not!

Sometimes a little humor will break the tension, but perhaps too little humor does not!

Merl

At "Pork and Brew" in Rio Rancho, NM I had to get one and it was very simple. The contest packet had a one page list of requirements from health dept. so I knew what to expect. At "Stagecoach" I was also inspected by health dept.

Jon, are you talking about the Maddox Rib Challenge? I was thinking abouty doing that one, but not if it's so restrictive.

The application is six pages long and the temporary license costs $40, payable by bank check or money order only.
Yes, it is the Maddox BBQ Challenge. This is the first year that it's not the same weekend as Bel Air or New Holland. I'm hoping that more teams in the area enter because of that.

Perhaps it was the lady health inspector at rio rancho or perhaps not!

Sometimes a little humor will break the tension, but perhaps too little humor does not!

Merl

I had the main guy and he was just gushing over my set-up. He loved my marine battery hooked up to my commercial fridge. When I asked him if he wanted to see my temp log for my fridge, he said he didn't need to do anything else. I passed with flying colors!!!! So that was a big sigh of relief.

Back