• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Full Competition Practice Cook (w/Pron)

Rich Parker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My pork butts didn't end up thawing 100%. It is really hard to inject a pork butt still 25% frozen. My new drum has the pork butts and is running slower than I wanted but I think that might be because of the cold meat.

Now I have to find a place for the ribs!! :eek:

The setup.
Setup1.JPG

Two less than mediocre pork butts.
Pork1.JPG

Nice choice brisket.
Brisket1.JPG

I've been in the same situation with the partially frozen butts. Seems that the smoker doesn't come up to temp as usual but it smoked in about the same time and tasted great so I think yours will be fine. One of those been there done that moments.

I've been in the same situation with the partially frozen butts. Seems that the smoker doesn't come up to temp as usual but it smoked in about the same time and tasted great so I think yours will be fine. One of those been there done that moments.

It seems to be catching up now. Thanks!

Nice setup Rich!
Only thing needed is a logo on that trailer!:roll:

Thanks Phubar!

I need to put a fire underneath that guy designing my logo. :becky: :tape:

Better to get all the kinks ironed out in the practice run than at the comp!:cool: Can't wait to see the pron.

Looks like you're overcoming the frozen butts! ;)

How many practice cooks do you do before your first comp?

Thanks guys!

John - She was kicking me at 2AM yelling at me to get up and put the meat on.

I have never had so much meat on a cooker at one time so it is making the drum act all loopy. :confused:

I will post some finished pics soon.

Bubba - Damn I almost forget the frickin chicken. Oh well, hot and fast!

Lookin' great! The fun and necessary thing about full blown practice is that you're
learning things you'd never learn otherwise. Capacity management... It's a dance,
for sure. Hang in there. Looks like you're well on your way.

For me, I never had success with frozen butts. Seems that they always dragged,
more than normal.

No idea....this is my first one and so far it looks like I am going to hit all of my times but it is early yet.

Just a word, no matter how smooth everything is going through the nigh, about 15 to 20 minutes before turn in time things can go to hell in a hand basket real fast. Good luck with your first one. :becky:
Dave

Wow Rich,

You cenrtly have a nice rig. and some nice looking pron.

Can't wait to meet you at the April's event!

Back