• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Quick.......need a whole chicken brine!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So I've got 2 whole chickens. I want to smoke them tomorrow, and I figured what better way to do a side-by-side taste test? I'd like to brine 1 of the birds and see if I can tell a difference (which I'm sure I will, but how MUCH of a difference?).

So brethren.....lay your favorite poultry brine on me (if you've got one)!

:confused:

Awwwww......c'mon!!! Noone's got a brine recipe?

Where's Thirdeye when I need him?:biggrin:

Here is my favorite turkey brine, its subtle but makes a wonderful bird:
1 pint REAL maple Syrup
1/8 cup sea salt (Kosher works too)
1/2 cup OJ Concentrate (minus 1 TBS)
1 qt Boiling water
Add 3/4 pint of Maple Syrup, OJ Concentrate and salt to water. Stir until all is dissolved. Chill down with ice or cold water and make sure it is at room temperature before placing your bird in. Place brine in fridge over night.
I make a glaze with a stick of butter and the TBS of OJ Concentrate and the remaining Maple Syrup.
I also boil the brine after I have removed the bird and place it in my water bowl.

Redheart
Acworth, GA
Brinkman Smoke N Grill (2)

Here's some good info about brining...lots more here too.

http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101#_Toc528293329

You will most certainly tell a difference and you'll like the results. I started brining all my birds and pork chops not long after joining this site ad have never looked back. As the Exec. Chef at my old golf course said.."It actually has some real flavor!"

The thing I like is you can regulate the flavors based on what you what the meat to taste like.

3/4C sugar, 3/4 cup kosher salt - mix into 3-4 C of water and boil until dissolved. Add enough cool water to cover the yardbirds, 1 T black peppercorns - brine for at least a couple of hours and up to eight hours for a couple of chicks. Drain, rinse really thoroughly several times and go fer it - let us know what you think. Personally, I love brining them - think it retains moisture and may even add some flavor - I do it routinely.

Back