• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Double Whammy

Serious Hog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We are looking to get a trailer about this size /style AND a decent used truck/SUV to haul it:
http://www.advantagetrailer.com/p.314/bbq-or-food-service-concession-trailer.aspx

We won't start out with all the options in the link (water tanks etc) but eventually may add those things. What baseline specs (1/2 ton versus 3/4 ton, towing capacity, engine size, and so on) do you guys recommend to pull something like that? Thanks!

If it were me, it would depend on how I was planning to use it. If it is a local concession trailer that you might pull a max of 25 or 50 miles, then I would get anything rated to tow 7K. That would include most full size SUV's and 1/2 ton pickups.

If I was planning several hundred mile trips, mountain towing, etc. I would like to have more margin. That would be a 3/4 ton pickup or 1/2 ton with somewhere around a 10K tow rating.

If it's only being used for competitions why not pick up a toy hauler and get all of the bells and whistles at a lower price?

If it were me, it would depend on how I was planning to use it. If it is a local concession trailer that you might pull a max of 25 or 50 miles, then I would get anything rated to tow 7K. That would include most full size SUV's and 1/2 ton pickups.

If I was planning several hundred mile trips, mountain towing, etc. I would like to have more margin. That would be a 3/4 ton pickup or 1/2 ton with somewhere around a 10K tow rating.

Great info Mike, thanks! We'd like to someday vend out of the trailer, but for the time being it'll be for competing. So sounds like the 3/4 ton is the better bet. Thanks again.

Having "too much" truck has never been a problem. Not having enough truck will get very expensive down the road - literally. Too much truck just means that the rig doesn't have to work as hard while the opposite causes breakdowns, mucho expense and high blood pressure. I'm in the 3/4 ton, 4X4, quad-cab, diesel powered camp, expensive to buy at first but you'll save in the long run. YMMV.

I have a slightly smaller trailer but it is loaded down when we go (1000#+ smoker, coolers....). We usually stay within about 150 miles. I have a 1/2T Chevy with the bigger motor (6.2). It will pull fine anywhere in that distance including up the continental divide. Love the truck, easy to navigate and enough power.

Only down side (like mentioned)...went to the Jack last year (2600mi). Got horrible mileage. If I was an every weekend warrior traveling significant distances, I would be in a 3/4T diesel.

Good luck. Like that trailer.

That site doesn't list the trailer specs, but since it has two 3500lb axles I assume that the GVWR is less than 7000 lbs, so most 1/2 ton trucks will pull that fine. Where you will run into issue with a 1/2 ton is the truck cargo capacity. The specs typically include only the driver, not passengers, cargo and the trailer tongue weight. Take a look at that spec on the truck, and find out the trailer tongue weight (typically 10-15% of the loaded weight) to see if that will meet your needs.

I towed a toy hauler that is around 6500 lbs loaded with a 1/2 ton (Nissan Titan, 9400lb towing capacity) and I had to keep the load in the truck to a minimum to avoid over loading the truck. It towed well, but now that I have a 3/4 ton I realize how much better it tows.

You will also need a weight distribution hitch since most truck hitches are rated at 500 lbs without WD and a brake controller. Some trucks have one built in, but if not I recommend the Prodigy proportional controller.

short competitions, your ok with a 1/2 ton, if you are going to be doing long hauls then 3/4 diesel is a must.

Get your trailer with water tanks installed under the rails at the factory if they do it... I did it afterwards and paid through the tooth. You will not regret having water on demand in the trailer

short competitions, your ok with a 1/2 ton, if you are going to be doing long hauls then 3/4 diesel is a must.

Get your trailer with water tanks installed under the rails at the factory if they do it... I did it afterwards and paid through the tooth. You will not regret having water on demand in the trailer

I'm in the 3/4 ton, 4X4, quad-cab, diesel powered camp, expensive to buy at first but you'll save in the long run. YMMV.
That's basically what I've been targeting, but started wondering if it was maybe overkill for hauling a relatively smaller trailer. But the more I read on this thread, I think I'm on the right track. Thanks for all the great input everyone!

Good values are still available in used Dodges with the 5.9/24V Cummins. Find a Quadcab with low miles and figure on putting another 2-3 grand into a new lift pump, air intake, performance chip and a new skin for the inevitably cracked dash top. You'll have a truck that can pull anything you've got (including your house) for about half the price of a Ford Powerstroke.

A few years back I found my 2001 Ram on ebay for seven grand - comparable F-250s were going for 20K. The Fords and Chevys have nicer interior comforts, but an older Dodge with the combine motor is a monster tow rig on a budget, and still gives you pretty good mpg when you dial it down into economy mode.

If I needed something to be a daily driver I might look for an Excursion. They're more family friendly with the SUV body, but built on the Super Duty frame so they can tow well. Lots of them are available for low prices, but it's because of their big limitation- horrible fuel economy.

Bottom line is a truck that is optimized to tow well is going to be ruddy expensive to operate as a grocery getter. For me, the solution was a dedicated truck for towing and a cheap Hyundai for a daily driver.

Back