Dino Ribs - First major cook on my new 18.5 WSM

colincci

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Well, I promised some photos of my first major cook on my new WSM. They are a bit late as I had to run off to Birmingham on business right after the cook and I can't figure out how to upload photos from my Ipad.

Anyway, the cook went great. I did two racks of beautiful 'Dino' short ribs. I did one rack with my Jamaican Jerk and the second with a coffee and red wine BBQ sauce for the heat intolerant in the crowd.

I fired the WSM early in the morning with a full load of charcoal, a full water pan and a mix of Jamaican pimento wood and apple wood chunks.

The ribs smoked all day at about 225 - 250. They were done about an hour after guests arrived. I think I had them on about 12 hours all totalled.

Oh, I also through a dish full of assorted beans under the BBQ rib rack. Just a couple of cans of mixed beans and a can of tomato paste. I didn't even mix it up as I was in a hurry. These turned out AMAZING! They were as big a hit as the dino ribs.

All the left overs got carried away, barely leaving me with enough meat leftover to make a pot of very tasty beef and bean BBQ soup the next day. :laugh:

So, here are the photos!

Colin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 317
  • 3-rotated.jpg
    3-rotated.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 317
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 316
Nice Dino ribs! And a hello to another bbq prairie dog! Just East of you.

Any chance you get the WSM at Home Depot? They dropped the price significantly for some reason. You should be able to get the price matched. Just trying to save you some cash so you can get more dinos!

Nice Dino ribs! And a hello to another bbq prairie dog! Just East of you.

Any chance you get the WSM at Home Depot? They dropped the price significantly for some reason. You should be able to get the price matched. Just trying to save you some cash so you can get more dinos!

Oops. No, picked it up a Lowes. The standard price. I'll check it out though. I need to pick up some more charcoal tomorrow, perhaps they will meet? Worth a try!

Thanks for the tip, and glad to hear from another Prairie Dog!!

Colin

Extremely jelly of that expensive wood!!!!

It would have went nice with the jerk pork I made the other day.

Nice cook all the way around. Way to go and thanks for sharing!!:thumb:

There isn't much on my BBQ bucket list but this is really close to the top. Great job on those ribs!

Great job, and where do you order the wood, I've only seen it in Jamacia.

I scrolled through the pictures and thought "why did he put a water bowl above his water bowl, and what's all that nonsense floating in it?

Then I saw this:

Oh, I also through a dish full of assorted beans under the BBQ rib rack. Just a couple of cans of mixed beans and a can of tomato paste. I didn't even mix it up as I was in a hurry. These turned out AMAZING! They were as big a hit as the dino ribs.

And felt pretty dumb. :doh:

Good job! I've never made beef ribs, I need to get on them pretty soon.

I got the wood and also some dried pimento leaves from BBQS.com. They were good and shipped fast.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Thanks a lot!!! I was nosey and went to that site and discovered a gadget called the slot dog. And I loooove gadgets, but need another like a hole in the head.:mad:

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Thanks a lot!!! I was nosey and went to that site and discovered a gadget called the slot dog. And I loooove gadgets, but need another like a hole in the head.:mad:

Glad to help. It's a cool site.

Back