Goat Roast????

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have acquired a couple of young goats for a roast this Saturday.Any suggestions on the roasting of them????? Never ventured into this,so open to any suggestions.

:pop2:

Sorry I can't be helpful, but I'm sure interested!

What do you mean by "young"? If what you have are castrated males or female kids less than 10 months old, cook them as you would a young pig and they will be excellent.

There is a recipe for whole goat in Chris Lily's Big Bob Gibson BBQ book. I'm at work and can't dig it up. I've never made that recipe, but everything else in the book is great and I imagine this would be too. Maybe searching for cabrito recipes/methods might help as well.

I'm guessing there are several ways to go about it - Carribeans probably do it one way (curried now that I think about it), Mexicans do Cabrito & birria, I'm sure there some sort of Middle Eastern or Mediterranean way of doing it, etc.

Here's a discussion I found on Serious Eats - a great resource.

Whole goat is very high on my list of things I'd like to do so I'm very interested in seeing how this goes.

I did a goat leg awhile back, was about the size of an average American leg of lamb. I put it on the smoker and ran around 285 to 300 degrees and cooked to 135 IT. Came out great. Had done and overnight marinade of salt, pepper, evoo, fresh garlic and rosemary, usually I add fresh mint to the marinade but was not able to get any so I went with the rosemary. Only thing I would have done differently would to have pulled at 130.

Back