Traeger or weber genesis 2

grantw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Looking at possibly getting either a Weber genesis 2 e410 or the traeger pro 22. That's basically all that's available in my neck of the woods, I'm still on the fence about a cool shack electric smoker but cost of shipping is high which is why I'm more leaning towards these other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One is a grill, the other is a smoker that can grill. I like my Traeger but I don't like it as a grill.
Wife likes the gasser for chops and burgers and likes the Traeger for chuckies and butts.
I do use both but prefer my kettle and my UDS. You show an arsenal in your signature so why spend 8-900 bucks?

I guess I'm a junkie. Lol. Figured with 2 babies in the house it might be nice to flick a switch than to light a fire is basically what I'm after. With the Weber on the deck I figured I could grill up some nice suppers , with the traeger I figured I could turf something in there and just let it roast. I'm not set on. Buying anything at all either just been thinking about it once the wife's back to work though I'm not sure I'll have time for lighting things up, kids and smokers are hard. I'll still use them for sure. It's just difficult. The other one that's available here is a master built for $250 or a Bradley which honestly the fuel looks expensive for the Bradley

Last edited:
Since we bought our Weber performer,
The gasser has been in the garage.
Hate to get rid of it, but never use if since we got the performer.

If yours looking for so,thing new,
Look at a Blackstone 36

I will second that the Traeger is a smoker than can "grill" (quotes intentional) but I don't really consider it a grill due to lack of direct flame. Maybe a smokey oven thing that can reach 400*.

You seem to have the smoker area covered well, though I'd say as an owner of both, the Traeger pretty much runs itself whereas the WSM's do require a bit of attention now and then.

I also own a Weber gas grill, and while flipping on the gas is convenient, it still takes 10+ minutes for me to have it fully heated which is only slightly less than a chimney full of charcoal takes (15 mins or so). It's hard to beat the price + performance of a simple Weber kettle, IMO.

Guess it depends where you're looking to streamline effort, taking into consideration the kiddos. The way I see it, the Traeger saves me more hassle than the gas grill does.

Just to add to my previous comments. Traeger to me is the hands down winner for a hassle free chicken dinner---no rubber skin like a smoker, no flare ups like a grill, and I get some smokey flavor. And wife not afraid to throw a chuckie on the Traeger, the drum is my realm and shes not interested in that much work. Course, she used to boil ribs but I fixed that.

I would go traeger. I love the pro 34 and just ordered the new timberline 1300. I also have two Komodo Kamado grills so I have those for higher heat and to use on my days off. When I don't have time... I'm all about the ease of use with the traeger.

Smokin it wants $747.63 us for shipping when I go through the check out. For a total of 1940.57 CAD For the 2D as if. For 1500 CAD I'll go cook shack. Or just the master built for 250 CAD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't blame you. I don't recall my shipping but it wasn't anywhere near that. Your other options sound good too.

I'd go with the Weber. You can set that Genesis up for smoke when you like, grill for when you want that. No matter what Traeger says, they are not a grill. You can't sear anything on a Traeger. This comes from first hand experience, I have both sitting in the garage and use the Weber more often.

I'd go with the Weber. You can set that Genesis up for smoke when you like, grill for when you want that. No matter what Traeger says, they are not a grill. You can't sear anything on a Traeger. This comes from first hand experience, I have both sitting in the garage and use the Weber more often.

This is true..... I'd check out Yoder Pellet grills. They sell online direct. Best pellet grill on the market. And yes you can sear. Or look around and see if you can find a Weber Charcoal Summit...... Then youd have something

Looking at possibly getting either a Weber genesis 2 e410 or the traeger pro 22. That's basically all that's available in my neck of the woods, I'm still on the fence about a cool shack electric smoker but cost of shipping is high which is why I'm more leaning towards these other two.

Your location is Canada. Why not consider either Napoleon or Broil King? Both are better quality than either the Weber or Traeger you are considering.

Last edited:
I hear all the time you can't grill on a Traeger but we love the hamburgers that we grill on ours. Just saying!

I've done steaks, burgers, boneless skinless chicken breasts just fine on my Traeger. I'd personally lean that way over the Weber Genesis.

I have a Traeger and have had my share of gassers. I can tell you that you won't be able to sear at super high temps in the T, but you can get a sear if you grill over the edge of the steel drip pan. It's a trick that I've read about and it does work. Can you get temps above 450 F? No. Is it super versatile? Yes. Can it grill? Very well, minus sear marks (except if you sear as suggested above). I can also tell you that it puts out very good que on a "set it and forget it" basis, which can be a nice change for the sleep deprived.

Thanks for all the input, for now I just moved the performer up to the house are a. I decided totally against a pellet grill because I cannot buy the fuel right in my town. I did order a elcheapo masterbuilt just to mess with. Now I can buy meat with the extra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back