• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Duroc rib cook for comparison... ongoing

ronbrad62

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I recently purchased some Duroc St. Louis ribs at the Butcher Shoppe in Pensacola and today I am doing a cook to compare them to the last rack of ribs that I ordered for my last comp, and in light of the scores, I'm surprised that none of the judges died from them. I was way at the bottom, so this Duroc rack is, hopefully, a redemption rack for me. I will keep the Duroc rack in the top of all of my pictures.
As I started off, the first thing I noticed was the Duroc is a deeper red color, which I have found is characteristic of Heritage bred pigs. The second thing is that the bones seem straighter, for better box presentation, farther towards the end. When I pulled the membrane, the Duroc rack didn't seem to have one and I didn't over look for it because I didn't want to gouge the ribs by trying.
I tried to remember to get a picture of the opposite side, but I forgot and started applying rub after a little trimming on the bottom, non-Duroc rack. The Duroc rack was as ready to cook as any I have ever purchased.
More to come.

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_122224377.jpg
    IMG_20210416_122224377.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20210416_122822531.jpg
    IMG_20210416_122822531.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 227
Thanks Ron, I am looking for to this as I have yet to try or find Duroc locally. I know I can order but, would like to just try a single rack and compare like you are doing.

Can’t wait to see the results. I assume you did this but you didn’t say anything so I have to ask. Did you use the same rub combination on both?

This is two hours in and first spritz.
To answer the questions so far:
I did use the exact same rubs on both racks.
These are Allegiant Duroc.
I have been trying (at home) a post cook wrap, same things as a regular, midway wrap, but at the end of the cook because being wrapped, they have gotten away from me and ended up a little overcooked as far as judges preferences, so I will do the same today and see what that gets me.

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_145338707_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210416_145338707_HDR.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 190
These are the ribs, 3:45 @ 275 and they are probing tender. Unfortunately, the Duroc had some serious pull back from the bone, my guess is that the heat coming up from the side of the water pan is the culprit, and as I removed them from the cook pan with tongs, the other rack broke a bit, and that portion would have been over the direct heat, as well. Note for next cook: use my UDS as I can increase the distance from the heat source.
Anyway, the taste test is the important factor here, and that will happen in a bit when my daughter gets home from her horse riding lesson. Right now, the baked beans are on...
I noticed that somehow the picture got reversed, the Duroc rack is on the bottom here.

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_165501556.jpg
    IMG_20210416_165501556.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 171
They both look delicious! But that Duroc rack looks a lot like a babyback rack to me. Just sayin'.

You had me wondering, so I dug the bag out of the trash, and I guess I picked up a Babyback by mistake, the other 3 in the freezer are St. Louis confirmed!! I should have noticed that right off the bat, but I guess I was major distracted. Thanks for pointing that out.
Anyway, the taste test is coming next.

Last edited:
They both look delicious! But that Duroc rack looks a lot like a babyback rack to me. Just sayin'.

I thought the same thing, not only did I notice the bone arc, but I thought I could see the loin strip through the rub on the BB's. Anyways the experiment will be a good one. I've never done a side-by-side with Duroc and commodity pork but I can tell Duroc with a blindfold on.

Well, the results are in. One rack actually did turn out to be Babybacks :doh:, but they were both very good. The actual St. Louis were very moist and had great flavor, and even though the BB's that I usually cook tend to be dry, these were the best that I have cooked, although not quite as moist as the others. If I had one of each on a plate and went back for seconds, I would have chosen the St. Louis (non Duroc) simply because they were moister. I guess I will have to grab a rack of the St. Louis Duroc from the freezer for an actual comparison (gosh darn the luck).
Anyway, sorry for the screw up, but thanks for following.

Back