Rotisserie spit in offset smoker

Etepete

Got Wood.
Reaction score
There are bunch of extras available for my smoker, including a rotisserie spit. I'm thinking about getting it just to be able to play around a bit with different rotisseried bits and pieces - turkey, a bunch of ham hocks, maybe even a small suckling pig. That kind of stuff.

I understand that I wouldn't use the firebox/offset smoker set up with a spit, but rather do indirect over charcoal directly in the smokebox. I've already got the smokebox charcoal grates for this.

So just turning to you guys and all the collective wisdom here to check whether this makes sense, if I'm right to think that I can do decent rotisserie grilling in the smoker chamber and if you have tips!

Much appreciated

What kind of smoker are you getting?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a setup in my offset, frankly there is not enough room to do anything substantial.
I used it a couple of times, then gave up
Mind you I do have a Stand alone spit roaster and the weber kettle kit.
Mayy just be me and the size of my offset
Not any height adjustment

I sort of always associated rotisserie with more of a direct fire - coals /wood under or off to either side of the spinning food.

I guess you could put one in a smoker if you liked.

It's a nette lette 20" Compact, which means a classic offset, c.a. 20x27.5" cooking chamber/grates.

At the moment I am doing my rotisserieing on my gas cooker, which has a width of 23.5", so I suppose what I am looking for is that extra real estate (4" in terms of spit length) as well as rotisserieing over charcoal.

So I am not suggesting to use the smoker as a smoker when Im rotisserieing, I understand thats pretty pointless, I would use my charcoal grates for the cooking chamber and rotisserie over coals - like Titch :) .

The fall back option would be to get that bigger kettle that I need anyway, and rotisserie there. But that's just 22" (I don't think I can get the big 26" webers over here in belgium)

Last edited:
I've thought about it but that's about all. Don't want to contaminate my smoking chamber with briquettes or burning wood. Plus, I'm not keen on drilling new holes in my OK Joe Highland. I am working on a collapsible (easily disassembled) rotisserie pit for my 52" spit rod and expect to have it done soon (I hope) though I don't see myself using it for large loads until Thanksgiving and Christmas. Meanwhile my 33" gasser (infrared) rotisserie will do.

I've thought about it but that's about all. Don't want to contaminate my smoking chamber with briquettes or burning wood.

This would be an important consideration for me. Does it have a negative impact on the cooking environment in the smokebox?

Back