• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Smoker (Brazos) - CL find - Great Deal :)

Big Swole

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well, I know I change my mind WAY to often but after buying and cooking on the Old Country Wrangler and seeing how small / narrow the cook chamber is, I've been looking at getting a bigger / better offset. The Pecos is a great size and most seem to really love it but I didn't like the thinner metal.

Find a CL "Smokin" Deal. Not sure about the guy I bought from due to his major stash of smokers and all kinds of other stuff that still "Brand New". He does business out of his house.

Anyway. He had a Brand New Old Country Brazos. The larger cook chamber and 1/4" thick metal. They retailed for $1000. Let's say I didn't quite get it for half that, but it was a Great Deal :)

Already have my Wranger sold to an old neighbor for what I paid for it. I'll give him the cover though. I have to order the one for Brazos / Pecos size.

C4045421-EDEA-4F79-9704-974DE87411BC_zps0hirhudz.jpg

3FE61169-3B40-4626-8474-EE82F26730EA_zpsksysvxv9.jpg

D8B293F3-CF38-4475-8830-35B83BEC7C55_zpsy2cnnnat.jpg

Looks good mate, make sure you post up some more pictures, speciall the firebox and air flow

Will do. Hope to get it off the truck tmrw. and season it well. I'll try to shoot some pics and maybe a few short vids.

I'm just looking forward to the longer cook chamber, thicker metal to make temp holding a little easier, and getting my New Tuning Plates arranged.

I had these cut for $25 the day before yesterday.

275EB397-D143-470C-A1E5-72C44828B04B_zps55bwjdnv.jpg

860DD19F-3D87-4ED1-ADAD-24C862B6ED31_zpsbnnzbwaw.jpg

4344EED4-BDC2-409C-98F9-BE0D0284A667_zpsm0kdeacn.jpg

You may need a cpl more plates or I'd get a double cut to go with those. Just have to experiment.

Wow.! You got 2 broken arms now.?

I dang sure hope not!! I've had enough broken stuff and surgeries to last me a lifetime.

You may need a cpl more plates or I'd get a double cut to go with those. Just have to experiment.

I don't know. I was reading a thread on smoking meats (or was it here...hmm) and some guy figured out taking his plates out completely worked better than anything on the Brazos.

I just got 4 to be safe. 4 is obviously too many for the Wrangler. I'm cooking on it now with all 4 in it...lol The heat diff was huge with the way I have it right now..lol Just doing a small chicken, so i was just playing with them and to season them.

That's a great score. I personally believe that the Brazos is the best size, best material and best buy of any of the big box smokers. As you try to ascertain the tuning plate situation, why don't you invest in a couple cans of biscuits?

Good luck with it. Joe

That's definitely an upgrade. The best results I got were on my old Texas Smokemaster. The holey plates kept it almost completely even side to side. I regret not taking pictures of them.

That's a great score. I personally believe that the Brazos is the best size, best material and best buy of any of the big box smokers. As you try to ascertain the tuning plate situation, why don't you invest in a couple cans of biscuits?

Good luck with it. Joe

Thanks!! I agree. It's about the perfect size for the back yard.
Yeah, that'll be a good idea. I will try to get it tested sometime this week. :)

Maybe Swole dropped this one and broke a leg........... :confused:

Nope!! lol
Still on the back of my truck. I've been out riding my motorcycle all day. Finally had time to get on the forums.

Got a wrecker driver buddy of mine coming by tmrw. to roll it across onto and then lower it down with the winch.

Not taking ANY chances on this one!

when I had mine I bought a convection plate from horizon smokers that evened out the temps. I also found that using smaller splits allowed me to control the temps better.

when I had mine I bought a convection plate from horizon smokers that evened out the temps. I also found that using smaller splits allowed me to control the temps better.

Yeah I saw you add. Wished I'd have seen it forsale before I bought the Wrangler. A) I would have got a smoking deal you sold it for and with the convection plate. B) I would have tried to lift it out of my truck with only one friend to help and would have never broken my wrist, which in turn I wouldn't have lost $6000 in income. lol

Oh well.

Which Size convection plate was it again?? 16"?
Did it effect the amount of smoke penetration in the food if it was place closer to the firebox??

That one thing I've always wondered. Do convection plates and / or tuning plates placed right against the diverter plate at the firebox end, cause less smoke in that area??? I do NOT want to effect the smoke.

I cooked on my Wrangler last night and after buying a chop saw, plus my kindling cracker, I can now build a smaller hot fire. Seems to work better, but requires more trips to the smoker to add wood faster.

That's definitely an upgrade. The best results I got were on my old Texas Smokemaster. The holey plates kept it almost completely even side to side. I regret not taking pictures of them.

found this pic but they have it in the firebox as a fire grate. imagine 2 of these flipped over that align evenly with the angled baffle that is between the fb and main cc. they ran the entire length of the cc a few inches under the bottom grate.

Texas Smokemaster Baffle.jpg

Cheez59 (John) stopped by yesterday and brought me a gift. Brought me an Ashcroft Thermometer for the Brazos. We seasoned it up and chatted a bit before he had to roll on down the road.

Thanks you Cheez59!!!

E1FF71C1-E578-444D-AB6C-943908EE28D2_zpskx3ondmn.jpg

2515E527-DEE4-4653-AB69-E75B6F434E8C_zpsnfg4ilz6.jpg

23D97B34-D171-4D42-A46E-334291ABFC39_zps2venkq39.jpg

707E85C7-0124-451B-A75F-112E620C25FF_zpszaec0yli.jpg

Back