When you gotta cut them loose.

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have been the head cook and chief financier of my cooking team for the last 18 months. I have paid all entry fees, rounded up the meat sponsor, worked recipes, etc.

But now, I wanna let my family (wife and kids) in on my pasttime and use it for bonding.

Honestly, I feel like my other team members are riding my coattails and are contributing zilch, besides taking pics at awards.

Would I be a douche if I simply said "sayonara", and take all my toys, including the logo and team name, and ventured with my wife and kids?

Really, what's the worst that could happen? Insofar as I see it, worst case scenario would be that those cut loose might stop being your friend. If that is in fact the worst case scenario, and you can deal with that, then by all means go for it.

Your money, your time, your desire to spend said time and money with family, means they can choke. At least in my world of questionable morals.

I agree with all that has been said above, however framed in: "it depends on what has
been the agreement between you and these other guys up until this point" and some of "how it came to be"

But, if it's your team, you named it, you paid for team gear, you've paid for the meats, supplies, entry fees, smoking gear, etc. then yeah, cut 'em loose and do what you must.

Included in the price of financing everything is the right to have the final say on everything.

But if there any batteries involved, then leave them, because batteries are never included. :wink:

Do it. My wife and I were the team until our daughter was born, now I just cook by myself. If your teammates aren't contributing, you don't need them. Family time and bonding is important.

dont cut them loose,keep them on back burner for when family cant help or go ,we did 35 this year,the wife and i,sometime kids,get extra help from team when she cant go ,or have a judge cook with u ,thats a different subject:clap: keep family involved when ever possable !!!!

I would change the name of the team if you can get your sponsors to agree. Unless your team members were just total leaches, which I doubt, they have contributed time and effort into building up the team. I would offer them the team name, just make a clean break and let them know you are starting a new team with your family.

Brett

I would change the name of the team if you can get your sponsors to agree. Unless your team members were just total leaches, which I doubt, they have contributed time and effort into building up the team. I would offer them the team name, just make a clean break and let them know you are starting a new team with your family.

Brett

Great idea. Unless they have read this thread, you can just say "hey guys I want to do my own thing with my family next year. I think it's only fair that I not take 'our' team name along with me since 'we' are the team. I wish you all the best in 2013". No one's forcing you to compete with these guys, and any leverage they might have had as a member of the previous team is gone because YOU stepped away. Hopefully you can carry over the relationships with sponsor(s) to this new team. Good luck.

Have a chat and cut the cord. Let them know where you are coming from so no one is butthurt causing personal friction. Is easy to revamp when there is no drama but I can promis ya there is always a little speaking from experience.

If they are interested in forming a team of their own offer advice as any good friend and a true brethren would/should and remember to ignore the negative folks..... It's funny to watch them follow your lead while talking smack.

Hahaha!

If I were in your shoes, as suggested above, I would option the team brand to the other members. I think that this shows good faith on your behalf, because even though you were the primary financier and cook (and equipment purchaser), you are willing to share your brand with them and send them off with something to work with and be proud of.

If these folks have cooked with you for a long time, I don't see feelings getting hurt. One of my teams that cooks only once a year is a veritable revolving door. I've only had to ask people to walk away a few times, and I still maintain a decent relationship with the former members.

I joined an already existing team last season. When I did so, I did so with the agreement that I was not going to be "PB", but an equal member. I've contributed financially all season long, attended a class, etc., and have been part of most all practices, recipe development, etc.

I also joined and while we considered it, we didn't change the name, but kept it as it was before I came along.

I know it's a different circumstance than you're talking about, but a couple questions to consider:

Are/were these your friends before you started competing together? If so, will this affect that friendship?

Have there been difficulties along the way between you and other team members or is this truly just a desire to include family?

If you just want to include family, can you do that and still keep other team members involved? In other words, can you do both? Perhaps you can just tell the team that you want your family involved and they may or may not decide to stay around or not?

Ultimately, it sounds like it's your team, but I know if Jimmy up and told me that I was out, it wouldn't sit well with me. As I said, we're not in the same situation, but I'm a big part of the team.

I'd thik at the minimum, a nice chat would be in order to discuss possibilities?

Surely there is a tactful and polite way to break the news to them. If they can't understand that......well, they aren't you're friend anyways.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Unless they are causing problems why cut them loose? You are already paying for everything it just seems like you should expand your team IMO. If they have a problem with their responsibilities being cut back thats on them. I wouldn't throw away help unless said help was draining more money than kicking them off the team.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75SEy1qu71I"]Donald Trump "You're Fired" - YouTube[/ame]

Back