Is my offset worth the work? Is my love affair over?

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A few cooks into my OK Joe and I'm beginning to ask myself is the difference in flavor with the work? My UDS is pretty much set it and forget it at this point. I have the option of sleeping or stepping out to my something etc whereas with the offset I feel like I'm constantly tending the fire whilst inhaling lots of smoke.

I like the challenge of the offset and I can't get the same flavor and smoke ring from my UDS. Now the flavor isn't always better per se so much as just unique.

I'm asking myself this question because I've been thinking about a patio model from Lang, SF, etc so the OK Joe was my training wheels and means of learning fire management. I'm now much better with the fire management but it comes at the cost of frequent chopping and splitting of wood and keeping an eye on temps at regularly. It's got some special feeling of caveman coolness but I'm snapped back to reality by my wife complaining I'm spending too much time outside and not with the family, the guests, etc.

Is this just a stage in the learning process? Anyone else have these questions? Is there a cure for my doubts?

One of my friend s just did that upgrade. He told me the lang dosent have hot zones like his Joe did. After seing the lang I can belive him. They are built like tanks. He also told me he dosent spend as much time fiddiling with it to keep steady temps

I use sticks on my M1 smoker. Love it. With that said, when I don't have time, I use my trusty 6 year old MAK pellet pooper.

Most guys say they get 45 min to an hour inbetween firebox feedings with the bigger, heavier rigs. My smaller unit I get about 20-25 min depending on what I throw in it. I love how the offsets run.

It is all if you like tending to smoker and with what others have said with the thicker steal the cooker will hold temps longer between adding splits . My Shirley will eat a pop can size diameter split every 45 min to a hour .

The Lang is very easy to keep at a steady temp range. Very predictable just by looking at the fire and temp gauge. I really enjoy the process, but would not want to have it as my ONLY cooker. The egg and pellets are great for days when I don't have the want or time to sit near it the whole time. Really just being near the Lang and having wood is pretty much the only trick to it.

If you are not sure you like the process already, then I'm guessing you may tire of it quickly. You may want to keep it for those "caveman" days, but have another option.

Maybe it's just the thin metal on the OK Joe that makes it need constant babysitting. I don't mind the process. My wife and my mother hate the amount of time I spend fiddling with it. An hour is probably acceptable. The OK Joe probably needs some kind of tending every 20-30 mins.

Myself, I enjoy monitoring and messing with it a bit. With my PK I have to stir coals now and then. Funny thing is it seems to keep steadier temps when it is windy. Weird.

You said you find the flavor different but not necessarily better. For me the difference is better so i lean towards the stick burners. As with all things a balance is key. After i wrap i put large meats in the oven so thats my way of compromise. We all have to find what works for our lives. To me 6 hours tending the pit is enjoyable, the gain after that is negligible to me so in the oven it goes.

Now you know why so many have multiple cookers. One to fit each particular mood.

Playing with fire is not for everyone,but as others have said ,you different types of cookers for different needs and time frames. I do love my Lang.

Don't get me wrong I like spending time with family and guests. But, that's one thing I like about tending to my stick burner is getting some time outside whether alone or not. Now I don't normally cook on my stick burner when people are around. It's normally way done by that point and resting in a cooler when it's brisket or shoulder. If your talking about something else it's good just to sit back feed it wood drink some beers and enjoy your time. It all depends on what YOU want to do. Feed your fire or set it and forget it. Honestly. I wouldn't love my stick burner if it was easy.

She's all for me getting anything I want. She just doesn't want me spending no time with her and the kid or guests. Decision is mine as far as if I can accomplish both.

Have you tried getting her involved?

A few cooks into my OK Joe and I'm beginning to ask myself is the difference in flavor with the work? My UDS is pretty much set it and forget it at this point. I have the option of sleeping or stepping out to my something etc whereas with the offset I feel like I'm constantly tending the fire whilst inhaling lots of smoke.

I like the challenge of the offset and I can't get the same flavor and smoke ring from my UDS. Now the flavor isn't always better per se so much as just unique.

I'm asking myself this question because I've been thinking about a patio model from Lang, SF, etc so the OK Joe was my training wheels and means of learning fire management. I'm now much better with the fire management but it comes at the cost of frequent chopping and splitting of wood and keeping an eye on temps at regularly. It's got some special feeling of caveman coolness but I'm snapped back to reality by my wife complaining I'm spending too much time outside and not with the family, the guests, etc.

Is this just a stage in the learning process? Anyone else have these questions? Is there a cure for my doubts?
Turn your firebox into a self fed gravity chute.

For us, when using the offset, the crowd just sort of migrates down to the smoker to hang out. We have to set up chairs and a table with snacks and drinks for everyone. Folks really seem to enjoy being around the cooker, the smells, the wood burning fire and the outdoors. And beer. Did I mention the beer?

I can't see every getting tired of the Lang. You learn to run it more efficiently and you learn not to fret about keeping even temps. I thing the flavor and appearance are significantly better to justify having to tend it once every 45 minutes or so. A remote temp probe can help you stay indoors or that is the goal. Some patio furniture, finger food and beverages can bring the party to you if you want to hang outdoors.

I am definitely getting a stickburner... just not now. I faced the same decision.

My son is an athlete. When we're not at his games, we are either traveling to them, practice, preparation or workouts. My wife works a demanding schedule. We have to carve out our family time now. It's just the current cycle. We love our meat and fire but having the whole day- ugh...the windows are just tighter than they were a few years ago. The UDS has just been golden because I can power cook brisket and porkbutt in 1/2 day windows or blaze out a couple racks from lit to wrap in a few hours.

I cooked on both crappy and good stickburners. I know what I want but I would feel too guilty taking that much time for myself right now...selfish. It's a commitment no matter how good the rig is. Granted, much easier to feed every 45 minutes instead of 20 but it is time vacuum.

Right now, it's all about the things my son wants to do- until he's too cool for the old man and wants to be with his friends. Also, everyone I know that has a good stickburner- also wants a gravity feed. So I'm getting the gravity feed first and waiting to see if I have time for the stickburner later.

It "all fits" now and I'm very confident in my decision but it was a hard choice. At least you're not so heavily vested in a pricier rig before realizing it might not be for you.

guns, grills/smokers, and gals....there just ain’t no perfect one.......get one of each for every occasion......or maybe just stick to the guns and grill/smokers......!

Have you tried getting her involved?
Yeah she's not interested in smelling like smoke.
..A remote temp probe can help you stay indoors or that is the goal. Some patio furniture, finger food and beverages can bring the party to you if you want to hang outdoors.
I use a remote thermometer now. Still lots of fire tending time. Maybe that's part of the problem. Our backyard isn't hang out outside friendly for the typical Northeasterner.

Back