• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My turn at my first custom build, a vertical offset here in Japan!

COS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been a lot of build threads lately. Just so happens to be time for mine also. It's going to be like blazinfires build, slight changes. It's going to be 35x23.5x23.5 and the firebox 20x18x18. The only metal I could fine here in Japan is 1/8" thick, already cut to size for main chamber. The fire box I was able to find some 4.5mm thick, but not big enough for main chamber. I'm also going to use a piece for the top and bottom of the main chamber.
I just wanted to get this thread going. Not much yet, just laying pieces together to see how it's going to go.

Look forward to seeing the build! What kind of wood can you get to cook with?

I can get ornamental cherry and about to get some chestnut. There's also some live oak here also. There is a few other fruit trees here I might try. The last few months been buying hickory western mini logs from cabelas. They upped there price though, 8.00 extra per bag.

OH YEAH DIAMOND PLATE!! This will be sweet! Looking forward to the build! I've got my Offset fired up right now going to cook chicken wings!

• Thanks
Reactions: COS
Darn Japan's 100v

Been cutting my metal and practicing welding at work lately. I got the exhaust cut out and tacked together at work. Planned on fully welding the seams at home and maybe tack the firebox together. Just did a couple of practice beads on scrap metal, no success. Voltage difference is to much, mig welder doesn't operate correctly. Guess I need a transformer or a generator for 110v.

Exhaust tacked

Bird sh!t beads done at home :doh:

Weld a little hotter.. Then you can get penetration .

On my machine I can only adjust wire speed. I did try to run hotter by upping the wire speed, but no success. That's why there's more than one bead there. I was trying everything, even turning the a/c off in the house.

Well I managed to get a transformer to get my mig welder running properly. Well so far got the exhaust stack made. Today got the firebox tack welded and working on fully welding the seams.

The opening to the main chamber is about 3" tall by 18"wide.

Already got the rails tacked on for the fire grate.

A bead, not to bad since I haven't mig welded since high school.

Looking good so far, Welding is better than the test runs.
maybe,? and I'm not a guru, but get anti splatter spray and use it.
it will make the clean up better

Thanks, with the transformer I'm able to give the welder the power it needs to run efficiently,better penetration. I have some nozzle gel and used it on the exhaust. I didn't really like it, left a greasy film afterwards. I think a quick hit with the grinder should knock it off fairly easy, could be wrong though :razz:.

Back