• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to make Great Turkeys on The Big Easy Oil less Fryer.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've received some PM's and have seen several threads on TBE oil less turkey fryer. I'm no expert by any means but have had my unit for approximately 4 years and have done maybe 40 turkeys and 50 whole chickens with it. I'm going to try to share some tips and tricks I've learned along the way.

Before I discovered TBE I had Cajun deep fried hundreds of turkeys in peanut oil. Properly prepared in TBE a turkey can be as good if not better than a deep fried bird.

First of all this is one of the few cookers that you go by temperature and not time. Here's a short video of how it works:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCmhrQapXI[/ame]

Charbroil makes a 3 in 1 bigger model but I've not used it. TBE is rated up to a 16 pound bird. I've done one right at 16 with great results. There are also many accessories available. I only added one additional shelf rack.

On to the turkey prep. I've never brined a bird when deep frying due to adding extra water in the bird to 350* peanut oil and do not brine for TBE. Instead I inject and add some seasoning for color. It also does not hurt to brush some peanut oil on the skin before it goes in.

Here's the kit I use. There are lots of good ones to choose from:

1z2ew6f.jpg

I try to get as much injection in the bird as possible. BIL having all the fun:

w7k9xz.jpg

Injected and dusted then covered lightly with foil and into the fridge overnight. You can put the bird on right away but I like to get up early Thanks giving or Christmas morning and put it on:

6za2s4.jpg

About and hour and a half in:

169g5ev.jpg

Another good tip is to spray the wire cooking basket with PAM or the like to keep the bird from sticking.

Also at this stage, the bird should be breast up/legs down for more even cooking. I've found the bird cooks more evenly if it's raised an inch or so off the bottom of the wire basket.

Thermometer on this one stuck in deepest part of breast. Since then I use the Maverick ET-732. A tip about doneness. I let the deep breast cook to about 173* guaranteeing the thigh will reach 165 + and juices run clear from bird.

I trimmed the skin a little high on the bottom of this one but it was excellent:

2rfshhd.jpg

The old days and YES with a little common sense you can fry in the garage. :becky:

2ez3bpi.jpg

And now:

29zybuq.jpg

szxwuf.jpg

f598xl.jpg

2nlg5f8.jpg

1e9que.jpg

169iys7.jpg

Additional notes:

The small ribbon burner uses very little propane.

Cook time is by doneness not time but on average a 14-16 pound bird will take between 2:45 and 3 hours. Deep frying a bird takes approx. 45 minutes but that's after oil has come up to temp and does not count cool down and clean up of oil.

I've tried beef and pork in TBE and it does OK but smoking and grilling seem to work better for me with those meats. I consider my TBE my bird cooker hands down.

Finally a word about the infrared reflecting lid. It is not made to hold in heat. That's why the bird is so juicy, it does not dry out. Use it to reflect energy back down into cooker till you have desired color. Do not forget and leave it on too long as it can turn the skin too dark. That lid gets HOT too. use caution.

Please post any questions and I will answer if I can. :thumb:

34pzwqx.jpg

213kt50.jpg

2vmjcsj.jpg

24xq6qa.jpg

Thanks toast, I've done about 10 in mine and agree with your post 100%. Thanks for putting this thread together. There is one thing that I could add, I have smoked my turkeys for about an hour and then finished them in the TBE. Same great results, with added smoke. I only do this if my smoker is up to temp for other meats. Not worth the trouble to start the smoker just for an hour because the TBE does fine on its own.

Can see that SS. It's two different types of cuisine. Fried and smoked. Like smoked fried chicken. Guess it's a regional thing.

When using my TBE, with the Maverick thermo, I cover the probe lead with a couple of layers of foil. I worry that the high heat can degrade the cables. I remember reading that they are not designed for real high temps. So my "food" probe is now always covered in foil, if it is necessary or not.

When using my TBE, with the Maverick thermo, I cover the probe lead with a couple of layers of foil. I worry that the high heat can degrade the cables. I remember reading that they are not designed for real high temps. So my "food" probe is now always covered in foil, if it is necessary or not.

Actually the temps are much lower. The Stainless Steel tub radiates infrared heat verses a closed radiant heat pit. The top is open so most of the heat escapes.

Great post.... A guy brought his to the refinery... I was very skeptical... Until i ate some of the bird..... Toast we do not pay those refs.. Off... It was the kicker that took the money:razz:....... Seriously yall spanked us... But i will take it anyway i can get it..... Great looking bird... Academy has those cookers and i am going to buy me one.... Fried turkey is good to me right out of the pot... After it sits a while i do not care for it.....

Thanks for the info, brother. I've never eaten deep fried turkey or TBE turkey, I think I have a better idea of what TBE turkey is like now, it sounds good. I hope I come across someone nearby that deep fries turkey, I've wanted to try it. Interesting our brother above doesn't care for deep fried turkey after it sits a while, guess it's different than room temperature fried chicken. Because a whole turkey is bigger and cooks longer does it absorb more oil than chicken pieces? I adore smoked turkey so I'll likely not put the cash out to get either system but I do like that I understand both better.

I stopped by Lowes yesterday and picked one up, they were $99.00, the bonus is I can do chickens as well as other meats in them...

Thanks again for your tutorial and sharing your knowledge with us.

Awesome thread Toast! I knew you'd have some good tips for those wondering. I tried to help IamMadMan in his thread about whether or not to buy TBE, but I knew you'd have better advice than me.
You do pretty close to the same thing I do but I did learn a few good tips from your post. Thanks! :thumb:

Back