How to make Great Turkeys on The Big Easy Oil less Fryer.

Alright dudes,

Pretty busy but finally getting the chance to post up some pics. As you remember I did a deep fried and my brother came over and used TBE to do his turkey. He injected the turkey, rubbed and put in TBE. I just rubbed mine and deep fried.

People LOVED both. They were moist with the skin advantage going to deep fried but they preferred the on in TBE. :-D I gotta say I was impressed with the flavor of TBE turkey as well. Mind you my brother never cooked or really heard about TBE until Thanksgiving day. He did a hell of a job but I must admit he's pretty good. :thumb:

Don't have too many pics. About 30 people so you can imagine.

EaIKkOXh.jpg

RJ04LKWh.jpg

This one was deep fried for my neighbor

9UpFtSZh.jpg

BYy6FTWh.jpg

2hcGeKuh.jpg

IAEfBhsh.jpg

I've been messing with a bit and made some pork butt kabobs and they turned out delicious as well

hS936Keh.jpg

pKxMLtnh.jpg

5GJbRrFh.jpg

Brother ssv, the grub above looks excellent. Both turkeys look spot on. I finally got to do a turkey on my Big Easy Thanksgiving night. I didn't get any pics as we packed up last minute and made the 5 hour drive to Auburn to be with our children. But I carried the Big Easy with me to do the turkey. I can't say that it was any better than deep fried, but it was every bit as good. And much simpler to do. As a fellow who has been deep frying turkeys since the mid 1970's, I was always very skeptical about the Big Easy. A non-believer if you will. However I am a believer now. The Big Easy more than lived up to the hype. Again, great looking grub above my friend.

Well you guys talked me into it. Bought from HSN last night for ~$60.

I do have a question though. Earlier in this thread someone said to raise your turkey a couple inches off the bottom of the cooker.

The one I bought from HSN comes with some accessories. Will any of these be useful for raising the bird up a couple of inches or do I need to rig something together?

Here's the link: http://www.hsn.com/search?query=big+easy+fryer

With all the hype about TBE I went and procured one to use on Thanksgiving Day. I usually don't change cooking methods without a practice but with all the positive comments I gave it a try.

I cooked a small 12 lb young turkey in the big easy this year for the first time, came out perfect... Thanks for the push in that direction.

Remember that commercial.... So easy, even a caveman can do it.... that is the simplicity of TBE. Just freeing up the oven was well worth the little effort required.

@no

Awesome cook Sako! Can't wait to see what else you can do in the big easy! :thumb:

I do have a question though. Earlier in this thread someone said to raise your turkey a couple inches off the bottom of the cooker.

The one I bought from HSN comes with some accessories. Will any of these be useful for raising the bird up a couple of inches or do I need to rig something together?

You might be able to use the bottom of the kabob set. But most of us use the Big Easy bunk bed. Here's a link to amazon although you may find it cheaper somewhere else. I've heard of people getting it for $10.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0026T6778/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480440974&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=big+easy+accessories[/ame]

On edit, I think the bunk bed is the best option. The kabob set won't get it any higher than the basket.

That's a great price!
They sell an adjustable tray that's good for putting in the bottom of the basket. Here's mine:

Kind of hard to see but you can see the hangers on the side of the basket. Also good for wing baked taters etc.

21bvsav.jpg

The basket itself is raised and will work fine as is. I just like to get the food a little higher.

On edit AClark44 just posted the tray I showed in the photo.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Big-Easy-Bunk-Basket/dp/B0026T6778/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&keywords=big%20easy%20accessories&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1480440974&ref_=mp_s_a_1_2&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com : Char-Broil The Big Easy Bunk Bed Basket : Grill Baskets : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

ssv3, did y'all have any leftovers that you reheated the next day? I've found that I've had to get the oil fried bird slices hot enough to re-render the oil in them. If not, they taste oily. TBE leftovers seem to taste much better after (in my case) the injected seasonings seem to meld overnight in the fridge.

Looking at your birds there were probably no leftovers though. :grin:

Brother ssv, the grub above looks excellent. Both turkeys look spot on. I finally got to do a turkey on my Big Easy Thanksgiving night. I didn't get any pics as we packed up last minute and made the 5 hour drive to Auburn to be with our children. But I carried the Big Easy with me to do the turkey. I can't say that it was any better than deep fried, but it was every bit as good. And much simpler to do. As a fellow who has been deep frying turkeys since the mid 1970's, I was always very skeptical about the Big Easy. A non-believer if you will. However I am a believer now. The Big Easy more than lived up to the hype. Again, great looking grub above my friend.

Thank you brother SGH! Come next year I think I'm just going to stick with TBE. Fool proof turkey no mess, no fuss.

Awesome cook Sako! Can't wait to see what else you can do in the big easy! :thumb:

Thanks Andrew!! The wheels are turnin' :mrgreen:

ssv3, did y'all have any leftovers that you reheated the next day? I've found that I've had to get the oil fried bird slices hot enough to re-render the oil in them. If not, they taste oily. TBE leftovers seem to taste much better after (in my case) the injected seasonings seem to meld overnight in the fridge.

Looking at your birds there were probably no leftovers though. :grin:

We had four turkeys :biggrin1: and naturally there were leftovers but everyone took "their" turkey home so I did end up with two nice sized chunks of the deep fried breast and a little dark meat. To be honest, I've never really had the oily taste. The oil never really seems to penetrates into the meat so far for me to taste it. I usually have leftovers cold the next day and don't reheat. To be fair, with the exception of the last turkey cooked for the neighbors, I've never injected when frying so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Did my first one. Injected with Creole Butter and rubbed with some Big Buts rub. 14 lbs and approximately 2 hours and 25 minutes total cook time. 2 slices of spiral ham were eaten, turkey was wiped out...

Great looking bird! I'll post some pic's asap!

Getting a chance to post pic's of the Christmas Turkey. Son in law injected this time. We also did a fresh bird for the first time instead of frozen. The only real difference I noticed is that the tryptophan seemed to kick in double. Not a scrap left and folks were dozing off left and right including me.

o6fzi9.jpg

rwjfxf.jpg

2v96ex2.jpg

2m454kz.jpg

May hang some ribs or do acouple of chickens in TBE around July 4th.

Back