My First Time in a Competition

Redskin

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Well our local Home Builder's Association is hosting a non-sanctioned cook-off. So I figured it was time to jump in and get some experience under my belt.
Friday night- Margaritas and cooks choice. I'm going to smoke some boudin for that, it's simple and taste really yummy.
Saturday- 12:00 Chicken halves
1:00 Ribs
2:00 Brisket

Dang, I'm too old to be nervous. I can usually do any of these meats decently, but cooking all 3 in a 24 hr. slot, all on the same pit. Whew! Man I've been studying and prepping for 2 weeks. I didn't realize how much effort this can require! Anyway, I'm finishing my rubs and checklist tonight, load everything up tomorrow and head out Friday morning. The weather is suppose to be good here in central TX.
I know first and foremost have fun, but any advice is appreciated.

Greg

All will be fine once you get set up and started. Just make sure you have your cooking time line in front of you at all times for your first comp. Give yourself a little extra time, much better to be done soon and hold than it is to not be done and have to turn in.
Good luck!!

Ditto what sfisch said. Build a little wiggle room into your timeline. Save some of those margaritas for after the contest - hopefully for celebrating. Good luck and have fun.

Well our local Home Builder's Association is hosting a non-sanctioned cook-off. So I figured it was time to jump in and get some experience under my belt.
Friday night- Margaritas and cooks choice. I'm going to smoke some boudin for that, it's simple and taste really yummy.
Saturday- 12:00 Chicken halves
1:00 Ribs
2:00 Brisket

Dang, I'm too old to be nervous. I can usually do any of these meats decently, but cooking all 3 in a 24 hr. slot, all on the same pit. Whew! Man I've been studying and prepping for 2 weeks. I didn't realize how much effort this can require! Anyway, I'm finishing my rubs and checklist tonight, load everything up tomorrow and head out Friday morning. The weather is suppose to be good here in central TX.
I know first and foremost have fun, but any advice is appreciated.

Greg

Depending on how you plan to cook you probably won't have two meats on the pit at the same time for long. Brisket and ribs may overlap a little. Ribs and chicken may overlap some, but most people I know that are cooking everything on one pit will have their ribs resting when the chicken goes on and the heat has been ramped up.

Cook the meat until it's done, and let it rest.

You have an hour between categories. Don't put yourself in a bind by farking around until the last minute. Do what you need to, but keep in mind that it's easy to screw up some really good BBQ by trying to tweak the hell out of it.

It's just BBQ. Have FUN!

Yes have fun and keep your written timeline handy. Give yourself about an extra 10-15 minutes.. especially cooking time with chicken. You'll be having a blast and will be distracted but stay close to your working area. Cleaning as you go helps too.. haha

Take pics. Your memory of what you turned in will always be better than what you actually turned in. What your turn in box looks like in direct sunlight will be different than under the canopy.

Yes have fun and keep your written timeline handy. Give yourself about an extra 10-15 minutes.. especially cooking time with chicken. You'll be having a blast and will be distracted but stay close to your working area. Cleaning as you go helps too.. haha

Iv done a full comp ONCE and was the head Chief with a few guys that had less idea than me of what was going on.

As JS said. Made a time schedule and follow it. That way you are never standing around wondering what needs to be happening at that moment. and hes RIGHT... give the chicken alot more time than you think it is going to need.

DM me and i can send you my schedule if you would like it.

rb

With those 3 I'd say one way to make life easier is get that brisket done and resting. Our brisket (and pork too) all come off with 3-4hrs before turn ins. That way we don't have to mess with it at all while cooking chicken and ribs. Once chicken and ribs turn in are done you simply take it out and slice it up. Those hour long turn ins should make that process work even better.

I sure appreciate all the good advice.
That's exactly what I'm planning Jason. I like to ramp up my temps a little for ribs and a little more for chicken.
The time schedule is a must have tool.
First and foremost, have fun! It's a win win the way I see it. BBQ and beer and friends, heck yeah!!

Results

Hot Dog, that was exciting! Funny how all your prep and practice somewhat pays off, but you still miss some things. I think other than bringing the appropriate materials to cook with and the stuff to cook, the most valuable asset is the time line.

Brief version.
I put my briskets on at 11:00 pm giving myself plenty of time for a 2pm turn-in. Last 3 briskets I cooked took 10 hrs to probe tender. I'll be doggone if these suckers weren't ready at 7:30am. Had to cook 'em to 220 degrees internal, but they turned out great. Put 'em to rest and then held till turn-in. No issues, sliced perfect, I thought I had a shot.
I started my beans at 6:30 for a 11am turn in. Man about 10:50 I poured a cup and ran it to the table and turned in what I thought was a little too firm of a bean. But the flavor was dynomite!
Next up, ribs on at 7:30 for a 1pm turn-in. No surprises here. Done in 4.25 hrs. Held until 12:50, sliced them suckers and ran em to the table. I thought I had a chance!
Lastly. I put my brined, injected and seasoned chicken on at 8 for a noon turn in. Again, no surprises, the 4 lb. chicken was done about 11 and held. I decided to hold it in the smoker and this got the skin a TAD dark. I thought oh well, better luck next time. I did the turn in run anyway.

Now all set, time to drink some beer and collect all my trophies.:)

They placed up to 10th

Results:

Beans, 2nd place
Chicken, 3rd place and in the money (yeah)
Ribs, 8th place
Brisket, better luck next time, must of been 11th place:)

Overall I had a blast, the worst part was basically staying up all Friday night. This ole feller likes his sleep. I can definitely see these in my future. Now off to work on my brisket!!

Greg

Sounds like a fun time. Enjoy!

Back