BBQ for the Homeless -Veterans Edition

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The boys from BBQ for the Homeless is at it again!!

This time we are taking our cookers to the Michigan Veterans Foundation in Detroit.

We are cooking for their annual stand-down on July 19th. This is a large facility that houses about 100 homeless veterans and offers all sorts of programs from basic heath and counseling services to job training and placement, substance abuse intervention, legal and benefits help, PTSD counseling, transportation assistance, meals and clothing, support groups and other services.

Diesel Dave and I toured the facility yesterday and were very impressed with all they had to offer our returning veterans

Ebijack and Dave M are also on the BBQ for the Homeless team and are providing their support as well.

And our old friend Tuscaloosa Q, Paul Shirley from Shirley Fabrications is providing a smoker that we are going to use in all our upcoming events!!

Here are a few pictures of the facility. For those in the Detroit area, the property has been purchased by Mike Illich and is going to be raised as part of the new arena complex. So they are moving next year into a brand new state of the art facility. I have seen the drawings and it is in the shape of the Pentagon. Very impressive.

The pictures in order are of-

the picnic area where the cooking will be done
the kitchen (with Tyrone Chatman, MVF director and our own Diesel Dave and one of the cooks, I did not get her name)
one of the storage rooms with donated supplies, there are several rooms like this packed with stuff
one of their tour buses
a pic of some of their museum items, its messy because they are preparing to move)
Tyrone again with their mascot (I cant remember his name, I am getting old LOL)

thanks for looking! More to come I am sure

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 415
Great job by all of you. I am sure the veterans will love a real bbq meal. Thanks to Shirley Fabrications for their generous contribution also.

Couldn't agree more. Great job by you guys! Thanks to you and thanks to Shirley Fabrication for the donation. That's really awesome what you guys are doing.

Well you could join us for the cook if you'd like Brother.

Drop Buttburner or I a message with you email so we can include you on all the discussion for the event.

this is going to be a great cook, and I'll tell you guys and gals that these Vets are real happy to be having us do this.

Mr Chatman is beyond excited as no one has ever offered to do anything like this for them. They do have a lot of community support and help from different restraunt's,
but it's not going to be anything like some real good Q cooked right there for them.

THANK YOU PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!

For those who wish they could help but are too far away, carry the spirit to your own area!!!

Get on that dang computer and start looking for charities to help!! You will get a lot of "thanks, but no thanks" for various reasons but there are groups out there you can help if you search hard enough!

We are working on another event for the homeless in August, a fundraiser this time!!

Back