catering a graduation

IowaWildHogsBbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am doing a little catering on the side. I am goona run these numbers by you experienced guys to see if I am on the mark or way off. They want beans I am thinking 4 to 5 oz per person and coleslaw I am thinking the same. That comes out to about 5 gallons each. They want pulled pork I am thinking 7 pork butts for about third of a lb per. There inviting 150 people. I know graduations and wedding you figure different. Thanks.

Inviting 150 probably means less. I would get the head count firm from them that they want you to cook for and bill them for that number. Assuming 150 is the number I always figure 2 10# cans of beans doctored up will fill a full size hotel pan and feeds 50-60 people on average. So you would need 3 pans or 6 10# cans doctored up. Cole Slaw you would figure 4oz although from what I see people tend to take more like 3oz but I'd be safe at 4oz so 4.75 gallons. With pork I would figure 5oz cooker per person and I always use 50% yield so I'd cook 94lbs raw weight or roughly 12 8lb butts.

Good luck my friend. I am doing salmon for 40 and stressing that

enough threadjack.

Just to be safe, it's more 30% ish? or?

Not sure I understand the question. I usually get between 55-65% yield but sometimes it's no more than 50% and I've even seen it barely that a few times. I always figure it on a 50% yield and that gives me a buffer zone in case I need it. Some people say they get 70% plus yield but I have never seen it.

One thing to find out what day the party is on. This will make a difference on how much people will eat and how much will be left over. Generally if it is the same day as everyone else that is graduating. Food consumption will not be as much as if it is the only party that day.

I agree with Bryan. For graduations I ask for two counts. One is relatives ( adults and kid count) and the other is friends, teachers and other locals who will be hitting several other parties that day. Family adults are figured with normal serving portions, kids under 10 @ 1/2 serving and all the rest as 1/3 portions. I use the 5oz. portion of each item as the baseline.
Dan

Back