Packaging: Request your insights

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Greetings from the tropical island of Okinawa, Japan.

I've had some good luck in recent months with business growing for my backyard pulled pork, brisket, ribs, and fatties.

Here's the issue: I'm not happy with the crappy paper plate covered in foil as a container for my customers' grub requests. If you guys tell me to "shut up and color," perhaps I'll listen... but, I've been looking for options. Need your thoughts on the following:

- Ribs - I typically sell a rack of baby backs at a time... and I don't mind cutting them in half before packaging. Wrap 'em up in foil before some sort of box to keep 'em from getting banged about?

- Pulled Pork/Brisket - Thoughts on some sort of cardboard container with a leaf of waxed paper on the bottom... provide space for sides and perhaps a "cover with foil for transport" job?

There's a restaurant supply place close by... (it's not the standard American stuff, but it's pretty close).

How do you guys pack up your goodies for your customers?

Kind regards,
SD

I am partial to minimal packaging, and this is more from a customer p.o.v.

Ribs, wrapped in foil, butcher wrap so no leaks. Who needs a box. Of course, if most people are using a carryall, which I see a lot of with Asianish people, then some form of plastic bag would be good.

Pork and brisket, my real preference is paper, sort of how Chinese package char siu and roast pork. They just wrap in butcher paper, all nicely folded. However, I also like the cardboard clamshells. They leak, but, work great for simple carryout.

Landarc, I think you've just hit it: Butcher Paper. I'm not looking for anything fancy. I'd rather concentrate on good quality meat. That said, I want that meat to reach your table with as much promise as it left my smoker.

I don't have much interaction with the locals on the island. I deal more with my brothers and sisters in arms who appreciate good 'cue from back home in the US. I appreciate you guys trying to put yourselves in Japanese "shoes," but I like where you're headed.

Cheers. The search is on.

Please keep the thoughts and suggestions coming. There is, by no means, one good answer to the question... only "what works" with folks who want your grub.

Kind regards,
SD

Back