ATC for UDS

BillyCal

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting an atomatic temp controler for my UDS and just wanted to see what everyone is using or if they even use one.

Thanks.

UDS's for the most part are so easy to control one isn't needed.

I have used one on it for overnight cooks but that's only because we have some good temperature drop offs at night. Lots of people even do all night cooks with out them.

Now if you do want one then i'd look at the Pitmaster IQ and BBQ guru has some too but they are fancier/more expensive.

Actually funny you mention that. I had bought a GURU for a previous smoker that I no longer had. I was at a comp with weekend and used it to keep my UDS at 325*. Cooked a 13lb packer for 5 hours. Never moved other than when the lid was off. Worked like a charm!

Been cookin on My UDS for 7 or 8 yrs now never saw the need I pretty much stays where a set it.

With the wild fluctuations we see here in OH I purchased the Pitmaster IQ 110 for mine. Did great on an overnight cook where the temps went from 78 to 35 degrees that night. Played with it in short cooks and it does great.

The only problem I ever had was when leaving the lid off too long and had to choke the o2 for a bit and let it come back to temp.

I just bought a stoker system and used it on my UDS. I used it for a 14 hour cook this weekend for the first time and it worked awesome.

With the wild fluctuations we see here in OH I purchased the Pitmaster IQ 110 for mine. Did great on an overnight cook where the temps went from 78 to 35 degrees that night. Played with it in short cooks and it does great.

The only problem I ever had was when leaving the lid off too long and had to choke the o2 for a bit and let it come back to temp.

Yea our temp fluctuations up here in the North from day to night are huge sometimes....He's down in Florida. One down there wouldn't be needed.

I won't argue whether you need one or not, you've expressed interest in one so I will try to give advice on my experiences. First, they work fantastic on UDS. The more airtight the smoker, the better an ATC works. It doesn't get much more airtight than a drum except maybe an insulated vertical cabinet. I prefer the Guru line myself. I have a PartyQ and a DigiQ. I use rechargeable batteries in the Party and put a fresh set in before each cook and they last for an entire long butt or brisket cook. I tend to prefer the Party because it has less wires for me to trip over.

I agree (especially since I live here) that Florida does not have the wild swings in temp like many of you do up north. And I probably do not need the controller BUT who does not like gadgets and toys to play with. I have been looking and the Pitmaster IQ 110 looks like the most economical choice just to have something to play with. It would also give me a large piece of mind if I decided to catch some sleep during a cook.

I have done 2 overnight cooks so far (Both on my Brinkman Trailmaster) and they ended up great but I would like to get some sleep with the next one.

Billy since you're leaning toward the IQ110 i'll tell you this. Play with the vent settings, both 2 and 3 seem to work good for the drum. Also don't try to use it for high heat chicken cooks because you'll be able to get hotter with out it.

The IQ has vent settings on it 100% 75% 50% 25% and fully shut depending on the size of the pit.

Yep, for high temp cooks I have open one additional valve half way and run the 110. Plugged right along at 325. Had to play with the ball valve to get it real consistent though.

On my UDS I have three one inch intakes. Two of which have one inch ball valves.

The IQ has vent settings on it 100% 75% 50% 25% and fully shut depending on the size of the pit.

Yep, for high temp cooks I have open one additional valve half way and run the 110. Plugged right along at 325. Had to play with the ball valve to get it real consistent though.

On my UDS I have three one inch intakes. Two of which have one inch ball valves.

Got ya know. I have 3 3/4" vents but of course if i get the IQ i will modify one to 1"

Got ya know. I have 3 3/4" vents but of course if i get the IQ i will modify one to 1"

No you don't have to if you don't want to because IQ has a 3/4" adapter but it isn't listed on the website...just ask for it.

Personally i'd have more air anyway because i like to cook chicken over 400* and the more air inlet the better so i'd add another 3/4 or 1" nipple or valve.

I use the auber ins. Normally I dont use them except like yesterday morning, woke up at 4am put some butts on, decided I wanted to get some more sleep since I went to bed at midnight the night before, slapped it on and got 4 more hours of sleep. Cooked my ribs yesterday with just the natural flow of the drum. I have to say it's a good optional tool to have in the arsenal, saved my butt in my first comp. I had to cook 100 chicken wings, thought no prob, lit the drum off, got it to 300 315 no problem without it. Then I got the wings, they were huge, clogged my double rack up, couldn't get it back up, slapped on the auber and used it to force hot air through the wings, got them done just in time for turn in. Got 14th out of 41 teams. If I didn't have it I know I would missed turn in.

I have a UDS, and an Igrill. I used to use it all of them time, until I got the idea to build my own ATC.

Right about the time I finished coding it, I had learned how to cook without it. Now, the IGrill is used for overnight cooks (in case the temperature drops).

Back