Lack of Smoke Flavor in Gravity Fed

Right now, I'm using KBB in my Assassin.

I start the coals and let the pit come to temp. Once the meat is on, I use the largest wood chunks that will fit in the fire box ash pan and I fill it. I rattle the fire grate to get some embers on the chunks and get them started. Once they're started, I get plenty of smoke.

I hit the cold meat heavily with the smoke in the beginning of the cook.

Plenty of smoke flavor.

I've also found with my gravity feed that it is important to really load the wood in at the beginning. I will fill my ash pan as full as I can get it with the biggest chunks I can get in there once the cooker is up to temp. I then reload every 45-60 mins for the first couple of hours to keep fresh wood burning through it.

I also have found that stumps briquettes or lump gives a much better flavor in my gravity feed than kbb does. I've used kbb, and did not get a chemical taste from it, but I do get better flavor from the all natural stuff than kbb.

I will also chime in of the Stubbs briqs. When I do chicken, I don't add any wood. I like the nice, mild flavor using Stubbs alone. I also use the Kingsford Competition briqs. I don't get the same flavor as Stubbs, but both burn with a clean smell & produce a lot less ash than KBB.

Back