• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cyber Q Wi Fi- Thoughts???

S

ssarich1

Hey fellas,

I have a few questions about the Cyber Q Wi Fi for those who have them or know a lot about them.

What is the range on the wi fi signal? I will be about 400 feet away on some occassions going through my home exterior surface which is rock. I want to control it with a Droid phone in Adhoc mode.

Is this type of technology a must have for anyone in the business trying to do multiple things?

Does it work? I do not want to shell out 400 bucks for something that will make me want to cuss.

I have done some research, but inquiring to a knowledge base like you guys could help me.

Thanks

When I do use mine it is from a distance similar to what you're looking for. The router is on the far side of the house so the signal has to go through walls and other interference to communicate with the cyber-q. I control it with an android via the Pit Pal ap. I occasionally lose the signal, but rarely. For the most part it functions as it should and gives me the freedom to go do other things.

That said, there is definitely the potential to spend some time cussing when doing the initial set up.

Good luck, j

It really depends on the placement of you access point. I've used mine at a couple of different places in the yard without problem, even with aluminum siding and low-e glas in our windows, but no where near 400 feet from the AP.

If you take your laptop or Wifi phone out to where you will use the Cyber-Q can you connect to the wireless network? What is the signal strength? That would be a good indicator.

I didn't have any problem getting mine set up. I started in ad hoc mode since that's the default and then set up my Wifi parameters using the web UI and it worked fine right away.

Does your droid do adhoh? my Samsung doesn't seem to.

depends on your cooker and your anxiety level.

If your cooker holds temps, and you don't mind checking on it occasionally, then you don't need it imho.

I'll have to take back the distance on my original comment. Nowhere near 400ft. But it does go through a lot of stuff to get there. There are boosters you can get for the router's signal, but not sure how much distance they add.

I emailed back and forth with a rep from the company. He said 500 feet, but then again he is trying to sell one. I have a hard time connecting to my Wi-Fi router at my house with my Droid smartphone, at that distance. However, how he talked it was a bit stronger signal given off by this product.

I have a Pittmaker Vault. It holds temps really good. The fan may actually be overkil on this smoker, but it will not kick on if the temps are steady I assume. I am opening a restaurant that is by my home. It is give or take 400 feet. The smoker is going to be outside and the only wall between me and the smoker is my home walls.

I am wanting this for overnight cooks to alert me of Pit temps really. My smoker tends to hold for long periods of time, however, there have been times that I was like..."******".

There may be another product that can regulate my temps and I have a good idea of when things are done and can get a cheaper probe to keep an eye on doneness. I just thought it would be spot on to have it all in one unit that I can get some sleep..... LOL

iCelsius Wireless

Check the iCelsius Wireless in Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1480486408/icelsius-wireless-the-ultimate-sensor-monitoring-s

They have two version for BBQ: with one and two probes.

Price is a lot more reasonable and it runs on batteries with Wifi as well.

I have got one.....:clap:

23cbeb869766cd92598557b4b63d02ea_large.png

Does your droid do adhoh? my Samsung doesn't seem to.

depends on your cooker and your anxiety level.

If your cooker holds temps, and you don't mind checking on it occasionally, then you don't need it imho.

The pit pal ap would help in this regard. I used to be a decent golfer and I would say it about a GOOD 9 iron away with virtually no obstructions. My bedroom window will basically be the only resistance from the signal on the Cyber Q and my phone.

The pit pal ap would help in this regard. I used to be a decent golfer and I would say it about a GOOD 9 iron away with virtually no obstructions. My bedroom window will basically be the only resistance from the signal on the Cyber Q and my phone.

Well, I would not think the pit pal is going to help, unless your phone connects to it, but im not sure.

If its for a business I think its a bit wonkey to trust, but that's just me.

I dont have one, I wish i did, i use a digiq, and its fine, I just heard some complaints about the cyberq, but thats all hearsay, I personally have no experience with one.

I think you would have better luck for a long term solution to hook it in infrastructure and use a router that you connect your phone to.
Please let me know how you make out.

Eric.

I personally like my digiq dx2 better. The wireless adhc signal is only about 100 ft. The digiq also seems to hold alot better temps than my cyber q wifi. Not worth the extra $120

What is yalls opinion on the digiq with a blower on the pittmaker vault? I still have a tendency to check over and over again on the temp which is cumbersome when I am doing other things. Does the technology work like it is supposed to and is it worth the money?

Thanks

Android does not do Adhoc. I'm on 4.2.2 and it still doesn't do Adhoc. Also while 400ft would be no problem with no wall.. forget it through a wall, that's not going to happen. If you could get your wifi antenna to a window you'd have way better luck.

I love my CyberQ WiFi. Never had any trouble with it holding temp. It is admittedly more than a little wonky to get setup but the recent firmware updates have smoothed out most of the real problems. The interface is still a pain - if you can set it up Adhoc on your computer first and then give it the Infrastructure setup from there it makes life a lot easier. Entering even short WPA keys on the unit itself is rather painful.

CyberQ WiFi paired with the PitPal app on my Android phone.. love it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I still am not sure what I am going to do. I still would like to know if the Pitmaker Vault has success with even just a digi Q. Anyway, thanks again guys.

My wireless signal doesnt make it to my back porch :mmph: Any suggestions on a booster? The Adhoc I have had issues with being that it wouldnt work with my Samsung tablet or phone...and my laptop if it would actually get the signal would reset if the laptop ever went to sleep. My CyberQ has become an expensive little toy that I have stashed away in the closet. However, in fairness I really havent put a lot of time in figuring it out. I have heard their customer service is very good and I absolutely swear by the DigiQ's i have had.

I have a Samsung galaxy s3 and have no problem using it in adhoc or running my phone as a hotspot for the CyberQ. My nexus 7 is the same. I configure mine to email me if the temp wanders so distance won't matter.

Just an update on what I have decided to do. I ordered the digu q x 2 and I am going to try some good baby monitors to overhear any alerts that might go off. A little redneck engineering that might work. My research tells me that the baby monitor technology has a good bit better range, so from what I know about the digi q it will give an audible alarm. Am I correct on that? That is the plan anyway. Thanks for the replies.

Guess I'll bump this with my 2 cents..
My router is in my basement (I know.. bad place for it..)
My back deck is probably a good 100ft from it, and it connects no problem.
Turning on, it always says 'wifi not detected', but it is...
It keeps the temp within 1C on my cooks, and with the 'wedonet' program, charts nicely!
I sometimes use pitpal with it, but othertimes just load up the built in webpage in chrome to quickly monitor things...
I quite like it..

What is the range on the wi fi signal? I will be about 400 feet away on some occassions going through my home exterior surface which is rock.
Range is quite variable, depending on many things.
I live in a suburban neighborhood, every house has a WAP. It is hard to get a strong signal, on a clear channel.

I want to control it with a Droid phone in Adhoc mode.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, it does not work with the CyberQ WiFi in Adhoc mode.

Is this type of technology a must have for anyone in the business trying to do multiple things?
Not at all.

Does it work? I do not want to shell out 400 bucks for something that will make me want to cuss.
Yes, it works.

I have done some research, but inquiring to a knowledge base like you guys could help me.
The CyberQ WiFi is the WiFi version of the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2. Having WiFi is more of a toy than anything. I am a geek, so I like playing with stuff. I have the Pro version of the Pit Pal. The graphs are cool, but they are not necessary. If the WiFi fails, you can use the CyberQ WiFi manually, just like a DX2.
I've had my CyberQ WiFi for almost a year and have done a lot of cooks with it, it works well as an ATC.
If I had to do it all over again, would I buy one?
Yes, because I am a geek. If you are not a geek, a DigiQ DX2 works just fine.

Back