What's the longest you've ever smoked a pork shoulder for?

Quite a few times Ive taken butts out to 16 hours. Mostly only when Ive got two on.
Normaly its around 12 hrs
Ive taken a few beef rumps out to 24 hrs but I ment to do that.
Im talking cooking at 150F with a pre sear for colour.

I just google "alt characters" whenever I need a symbol like that or the "½". Lots of cool, useful symbols there!
Some sites just give you just the numbers to push, but when you do it make sure you are are pressing the "alt" button as well.

if you're using windows, pull up the character map (start menu-->accessories-->system tools) it will show you the keyboard shortcuts for those things

I have two boneless butts going right now. Just took the first one off at 12.5 hours, it was 8.5lbs at 225 on the Traeger 075. The second one is still going. The right side of the 075 runs hotter of course. Second one has been on for 13.5 hours. Then again, I let them do their thing and don't temp to finish but probe for butter.

if you're using windows, pull up the character map (start menu-->accessories-->system tools) it will show you the keyboard shortcuts for those things
Wlll have to figure it out even further. Got Windows 8 and it ain't the same. Get lost faster than a child in a toy store. :frusty::frusty:

Way back when Before my brains came in I used to cook L&S at 225 my personal record was 20 hrs. Fast Forward to 2000 I got smartened up. The last Butt I cooked was right at 9 LB done at 300 in the UDS the bone was falling out at 6 hrs. Come to the Dark Side SuperStang83.

The longest I've ever smoked a pork shoulder is about 5.5 or 6 hours.....but I do them hot and fast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I just moved the short cut to my desktop for easy access. Thanks.

Way back when Before my brains came in I used to cook L&S at 225 my personal record was 20 hrs. Fast Forward to 2000 I got smartened up. The last Butt I cooked was right at 9 LB done at 300 in the UDS the bone was falling out at 6 hrs. Come to the Dark Side SuperStang83.

+1 Amen!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

An eight pounder went 12 hours q'ing low and slow.

Question for you. In your OP, how did you get the degree symbol with your temps.

I just google "alt characters" whenever I need a symbol like that or the "½". Lots of cool, useful symbols there!
Some sites just give you just the numbers to push, but when you do it make sure you are are pressing the "alt" button as well.

Another way to do it is use the Character Map 275°

°°° see you learn something new every day. Cant wait to use this in the brewing forum.

Oh yea.... This is not a thread jack. I have cooked pork butts for up to 13hr but thats only cause I did not have decent temp control and it got down to 200 for too long.

My last butt I decided to go old school so it went on at 225* overnight with no wrapping until the rest. I think it was on for close to 16 hours or more. I didn't mind because I wasn't in a hurry.

We do em this way now
On our FEC 100

I'm with you. I did a 7.5 lb picnic on Saturday between 280-300 and it took about 7 hours.

275* and it took 18 hours? Me thinks you weren't cooking where you thought you were...

Back when I was young and dumb, okay well maybe 2 years ago when I first got into q-ing, I had a day to spare so I put a butt and a brisket on at 5pm friday night and pulled it at 5pm saturday night, 24 hours at 210-220 pit temp. The meat was good, very smokey, but couldn't eat any of the bark, it was like chewing jerky. Moreso on the butt than the brisket, but neither were very good.

I've learned myself good since then, 300*, plan for 45min/lb (normally closer to 30) Blackens the bark, but doesn't dry it out, and tastes good!

One time (early in my smoking career) I smoked 3 butts for 24 hours! It was insane. It was one of my first cooks on a UDS and it was freezing out and I kept spritzing and looking at these these things while running out a fuel a few times. They still turned out great! But now its 275 in the WSM (since got rid of the UDS) until its ready. "If your looking, your not cooking"

About 22 hours back in 2006 on a Brinkman bullet. Smoker rocked at about 200º for the cook of 15 lbs. of butts.

Hijack: Get a Mac and you just have to do alt 0 =º :tongue:

Back