• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGE: Fried Gasket

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well, I managed to nuke my gasket. I fired the Egg up and let it ramp up to about 550 for a nice cleaning. It was running for about 30 minutes at that temp and I saw smoke coming out of the sides. I ran over to the Egg and opened it (slowly) and parts of the gasket were liquified and the front edge was fusing, pulling the top gasket off the rim.

As many problems as people have with these gaskets, I would think a design solution would be in order.

For now, I've managed to squeeze my burned up gasket back in place, and it will do for now, but i'm going to have to replace it. I sent a note to BGE; let's see what they say.

Dave

Nomex is probably what they will send you. I've been using 2 larges without gaskets or issues for a few years.

How many cooks have you done on it since it needed a "good cleaning"?

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger, mine came off at an Eggfest and I was cooking at what I thought was 350*, but the thermometer was 70* off on the high side. They gave me a roll of felt, but I called the Mothership and was sent the Nomex.

Its a shame Big Green Egg ships them with those POS felt gaskets. The thermometers are Chinese POS also. Get a Tel-Tru.

This is only my third cook. I had dripped chicken fat all over the plate setter and the grid was dirty, so I figured I'd burn it off.

This is only my third cook. I had dripped chicken fat all over the plate setter and the grid was dirty, so I figured I'd burn it off.

Probably it hadn't had time to set properly if only on your third smoke...

If you are gonna do a lot of high heat then go with the nomex...

I ran it for 24 hours straight at <250 :confused:

The Grey gasket is garbage, if you had done 80 hours worth of cooks maybe it would have cured out. I fried mine a few days after I bought the Egg.

You need to make sure the new gasket is NOMEX, it is white. Most important thing is to clean the surface's off good! Taking the Dome off will make it easier to clean and replace, just lay an old blanket over the base and lay the dome upside down on it.

Use 3M Super 77 for adhesive for the new one.

Like I posted in my thread, send BGE an email and they will send you a high heat replacement.

Thanks Tim. Sent that off. Not too worried about it; it still cooks like magic.

Back