Whats the difference?

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I wanted to do some baby back ribs the other day, I went to my meat man (Costco) I know, its all I got. They only had back loin ribs. I thought they where baby back but had a whole lot more meat. Well I cooked them up and was kind let down the extra meat was not a plus! Not being a butcher of any sort what the heck should I have done? I have a feeling the back loin ribs may be my only option for a while. :(

What didn't you like about them?

That's all I cook as far as ribs go.

How much did they weigh?? Baby backs weigh < 1.5 lb, Loin backs>1.5 At my ranch mo meat Mo Betta.

You guys are going to think I'm crazy but the meat was to tender ( had no pull ) and the meat of the lion was was cook different then the meat on the bone (i like the meat around the bones the best. The loin meat temped at 175 at the thickest spot, the rest of the ribs temped out at 185

The ones we have around me are all over 2LBS and are the loin backs. Never had an issue and they cook much faster than spares. You might have cooked them too long. What temp do you cook at? I cook at 300 and they are done in 3 hours, maybe sooner, maybe a little longer.

Some of the loin backs have a lot of loin on them. Hence, almost pork chops when sliced.

The ones we have around me are all over 2LBS and are the loin backs. Never had an issue and they cook much faster than spares. You might have cooked them too long. What temp do you cook at? I cook at 300 and they are done in 3 hours, maybe sooner, maybe a little longer.

250 took almost 4 hrs

I've never had any success with loin backs. I don't foil and find the loin backs too lean and bland. Maybe they are the ones you are supposed to boil? Maybe brining would help. Myself, I would look harder for spareribs.

I believe that loin backs are just BB's with some of the loin still attached. Someone correct me if that is not right.

I prefer loin backs. Doesn't matter if I foil or not they always come out tender. I also prefer the taste over spares but that may be because 90% of the time I cook the loin backs. It sounds like the OP may be in the group that prefers spares.

So whats the difference between the two?

See post #3

You don't need to temp ribs I have never in 30+ yrs ever temped a rack of ribs just cook'em till they pass the bend test. If they was to tender you cooked them to long.

Maybe next time I'll trip them more than I did and have some loin meat for another meal. God knows there was enough meat for a couple of meals and still have ribs for dinner. Thanks for the answers guys.

See post #3

You don't need to temp ribs I have never in 30+ yrs ever temped a rack of ribs just cook'em till they pass the bend test. If they was to tender you cooked them to long.

I never temped ribs before either but the meat was so thick I figured why not. Thats the only reason I had the temps.

Even with the extra meat on them, still hard to get an accurate temp reading on ribs, that is why almost no one temps ribs. Do the bend test, probe between the bones for tenderness, or do both.

Attachments

• Bendy Ribs.jpg
    Bendy Ribs.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 13
Back